Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Connecting a Green Heron RT-21 to my Rotor, and Flexradio Question???

Hi,

I am looking to add a Green Heron RT-21 to my station and Yaesu G-2800DXA. There is an option that would allow me to add either WIFI or Ethernet/Lan to my RT-21. I realize that N1MM can communicate with the RT-21 via USB Cable. But wasn't sure if having the Ethernet/Lan Option would allow my Flexradio to communicate with the RT-21? And I don't know if it does either. So I am thinking that it might. Any thoughts on this?

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Best Answers

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Mark

No, the Flex will not communicate to the RT21.

What is the point of having the Flex communicate to the RT21 Rotor Controller? The Flex has no idea what the station bearing is.

The purpose of communicating with the RT21 is to command the antenna rotor. So, devices that have QSO bearing, and rotor controls, such as stop, park, etc, are the ones you want to be able to communicate.

Alan. WA9WUD

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi Mark,

I have both my logging programs communicate to the RT21. I use N1MM+ for contests and AC Log for my daily & DX log. I only use one log program at a time. I do my interfacing through Node Red which allows the Stream Deck to control rotor and display bearing.

In your case, you can connect the USB from RT21 to PC. It will create a com port. In the rotor setup of your logging software set up the com port and select Hygain DCU-1 protocol.

If you are interested in the Node Red interface, give me a call.

Dave wo2x

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thanks Guys. I just thought I would ask. I didn't think the Flexradio communicated with the Green Heron. But I wanted to ask the question, just in case it did.

Mark KB3Z

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Mark

No problem. As Dave, WO2X, said, several other applications can command the Green Heron, so ask about some of those.

Most use the Legacy serial connections on the back of the controller via USB cable. I think the TCP option may be for interfacing the RT21 with other GreenHeron Devices.

Alan. WA9WUD

Answers

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

Maybe I should read the manual if they have one online. I would be interested to see what they have to say about WIFI or Ethernet/Lan Capability. But I realize that I don't have to purchase that, because the simple USB cable from my computer to the back of the RT-21 should suffice.

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.