Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Connecting Digital with Maestro

glennko4ol
glennko4ol Member
Our EOC has a Flex-6500 that is remoted to commo shack outside the EOC and uses Maestro Control Head via the LAN. I have been asked to install Winlink. I run Winlink from home and know how to set it up. However, I can't find clear info on how to use it with the Maestro control head. Do I need another laptop connected? Help please.

Best Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓

@glennko4ol

Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes! :) Cool, eh?

This is a normal setup and NOT a MultiFlex setup since there is only 1 operator.

MultiFlex is when you have 2 versions of SmartSDR running as in 2 operating positions.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi Glenn, When you run SmartSDR on the computer to set up CAT and DAX, it needs to match the version that the radio is running. The Maestro version also needs to match the radio version. Version 1.12.1 is the most recent V1 software. If your radio and Maestro are less than this and you don't have that version of SmartSDR, you will need to bring both up to 1.12.1 so that SmartSDR will match.

If you are running a digital mode on the computer with the Maestro providing operator control, you will not be running SmartSDR, just CAT and DAX. In this scenario, MultiFlex is not being used because the computer is not running SmartSDR, just the digital program plus CAT and DAX.

If you want everything on the computer, leave the Maestro off and run SmartSDR (along with CAT and DAX) and your digital program.

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Glenn, the digital modes will need a computer to run on. They can coexist with the Maestro or with SmartSDR on the same or different computer.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@glennko4ol

The audio for your digital programs will not use the Maestro. The operator will use the Maestro.

On the computer with WinLink you want to install SmartSDR which will install SmartSDR CAT and DAX. WinLink will use the CAT and DAX programs to connect to the radio directly. This makes it a much cleaner and more efficient solution.

This video might help https://youtu.be/reXN3rpIaZU

• glennko4ol
    glennko4ol Member
    Mike-VA3MW. Does this mean I leave the Maestro connected and then connect the computer via the network and I don't have to take the Maestro offline?
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

If the software version is 3.xx, both the computer and Maestro can be connected simultaneously, called multi flex. Both can be operating the radio simultaneously, even by two separate operators, which can be remote if desired. Or some use the Maestro in smart control mode to use the knobs.

The Maestro uses an OEM tablet with a minimal version of windows to get touch screen capabilities for SmartSDR, but it can’t run any other programs.

• glennko4ol
    glennko4ol Member
    Mike, does it matter what version of SDR I run if the Flex is still less than Ver 2.0
  • glennko4ol
    glennko4ol Member
    Thank you Len.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.