Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL no output on MultiFlex session

Setup here... 6600 with PGXL and two Windows PC's running SSDR 3.2.39.. First session running FT8 programs and PGXL with all running well and as expected. I then start SSDR on the other pc and login to the 6600 on multiflex session with dax and cat and this session is running on the same band and antenna but I have it set up for SSB. It all works as expected and plays well with the first session with the exception is I can't seem to get any output on the PGXL with the SSB session but the FT8 session will drive the PGXL nicely.

I had thought the concept of sharing the amp between two multiflex sessions would work but I may be wrong. I also might not have things set up properly. The SSB PC session is using local PTT with the 6600 and I have toggled that PC for local control which work fine and the PGXL app sees my PTT activity but shows no output.

any thoughts other than I shouldn't muck with things too early in the morning? thanks Mike

Best Answers

• Mike  W1BFA in Maine
    Mike W1BFA in Maine Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

I guess I was being too cautious.. this amp is pretty hot. I've always been a bashful amp user since encountering some surprises back in my foolish youth getting too enthusiastic with my ol' BTI 2000!

snaps and crackles are not noises I like to hear...

• Mike  W1BFA in Maine
    Mike W1BFA in Maine Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Bill... after I posted I started experimenting a bit more and apparently I just didn't have enough mic gain to push the amp to have an output. I just needed to be a little less careful :-) by hot, I was talking about how little signal it takes to drive the amp to higher levels. Much more gain than any of the old amps I've had over the years. The snaps and noise were about my old amps if I got too rowdy down on 80. All is good now.

thanks Mike W1BFA

Answers

• whooops... seems to be working as expected now that I have the mic gain turned up... at about 30 setting no output on amp but tuned up to 50 is perking along nicely? I'm happy as long as it is happy...

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭

I guess I am confused by your answers to yourself! Now that you have output on SSB with the proper microphone profile, what do you mean by too hot? Temperature or power output? I can easily run 1500 watts SSB on my PGXL or 1,000 on FT8 with the temperature range up to 55 degrees C, except on 6 meters the temperature rises faster, so I lower the output to 800 watts on 6 meters. Snaps or creaks from temperature changes seems to be normal with this solid state amp. Just watch the temperature gauge.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.