Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6500 Timeout after 3.3.29 Installation

My 6500 stays in a timeout mode and the LED is flashing red and never completed the installation of SmartSDR 3.3.29 Tried a factory reset 3 times and no joy. Got any ideas out there?

Charlie, WA3UTC

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Charlie, I got the red flashing power button (single flash sequence) when I upgraded my 6400. I hit the power button once (did not hold it) and the fan came on and the upgrade continued. You may want to give that a try.

• Charlie, WA3UTC
    Charlie, WA3UTC Member ✭✭

Thanks Len, but no joy still in the timeout mode.

Charlie, WA3UTC

• 1JR RSM
    1JR RSM Member ✭✭

Suggestion did not work for me either

• Charlie, WA3UTC
    Charlie, WA3UTC Member ✭✭

According to Tim it looks like the SD card has failed. Flex will be sending a new replacement card to me soonest. Another outstanding helps desk ticket completed by the Flex team. Thanks Tim.

• Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022

Alas, I am in the same boat. Just opened a ticket. Shame really as my Transverter arrived back from service today and I was looking forward to playing!

Ho hum!

Richard, W4/G7EIX

• Chuckers5
    Chuckers5 Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue, repeatable at least five times. I did the factory reset routine and held the OK and power buttons each iteration. I didn't even know it has an SD card in the 6500. I bought mine shortly after their introduction and this is the first hardware problem I've had. I guess I need to submit a help desk ticket to get on the replacement SD card list?
  • KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭

I hope when they announce a fix they at the very least announce we need a new SD card from them.

My preference is that they push a release that doesn't ruin equipment that has been working for years.

• KD0RC

@KM4CQG - Did you try the upgrade and it failed? If so, I would submit a help desk ticket or Flex won't know that you have an issue. If they determine that it is an SD card issue, they will be able to send you one.

No equipment is being ruined by this upgrade...

• KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭

Len

I downloaded the update but decided to check on the community 1st to see if anyone found and issues.

Noticed several of your Posts and starting reading others as well. Decided to hold off and very glad I did.

Ian

• KD0RC

Ah, OK. I am sure that once Flex gets to the root cause of the issue, they will put out a communication as to how to proceed.

I am guessing from your QRZ page that you have a 6700, so waiting is probably best.

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Same situation here. I attempted to upgrade from V3.2.29 to V3.3.29. Initially the update was looking like every other update process (except the fans came on). But then my 6700 indicated "Timeout" and I got a red flashing LED. I performed a Full Reset procedure, but that didn't help. I just finished submitting a Trouble Report.

Butch, KF4HR

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

I'm curious where a SD Card resides in a Flex 6xxx transceiver?

Butch, KF4HR

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

each radio is different and SCard's are in different places inside the radio.

If you have issues with it working after you do a update do a Support ticket and they will guide you what to do on each radio model and Series.

wx7y

• Chuckers5
    Chuckers5 Member ✭✭
    Wow! I am dazzled by the expeditious response to my 3.3.29 upgrade SD card issue. I put the help ticket yesterday afternoon and have received two emails from Flex before lunch today. The solution is to replace the SD card in my 6500. Flex sent a detailed pdf file showing how to remove and replace the SD card and they are sending me the replacement card. That is great service. Kudo's to FlexRadio for taking care of their customers!

Chuck K4SC
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭

Same issue here. now have sd card installed and 6500 runs. However, how to get the shield back on. What has anyone done to get it on properly, without tearing the chassis apart?

gene K1GD

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Gene - I got word from Tim will be sending me a new SD Card for my 6700, so I'll be going through its replacement procedure soon. In case you don't have the SD Card Replacement procedure, here's what it says about reinstalling the RF isolation cover:

Reinstall the RF Isolation cover. Make sure that the RF Isolation cover is inserted properly in the RF shield housing’s retaining tabs. It is best to insert the cover on the side of the housing underneath the side of the chassis first and then gently press down on the side facing away from the chassis. Starting at one corner ensure that the cover is between the alternating rows of “teeth” is recommended to ensure the cover is aligned properly.

(Many thanks to Tim for responding to my Trouble Report on the weekend.)

Butch, KF4HR

• KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022

I wonder in the future if Flex will release another upgrade that won't take out the SD Card.

• Ted S
    Ted S Member ✭✭

Given the cost of replacing SD Cards, I am sure they will do everything they can.

I will make a suggestion, allow users to purchase a backup SD Card so we have one on hand in case problems happen in the future. Should save Flex substantial time and money by allowing users to better resolve SD Card problems with less burden on tech support.

Ted WR4T

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't think so because I don't think they want a bunch of corrupt SDcards out there in the world causing problems in the future otherwise they would have PULLED 3.3.29 from the Download page I would think.

This is one of those things that weeds out the old SDcards and FLEX is dammed if they do and dammed if they don't with those that can't see the light for the tree's.

The new card if yours fails the test will contain 3.3.29 when you get it and be all ready to rock and role.

Each card has the Serial number and MAC address of the radio you did the trouble ticket on burned into the SDCard when you get it, this is why someone just can't burn a copy of someone else's radio's SDCard.

The radio will boot but will not work if you put a different SDCard from the wrong radio in, I know this because I got my SDCards mixed up on two of my radio's and that's what happened to me.

Didn't hurt anything but would not work until I got the right cards in the right radio.

So the best solution for EVERYONE is to wait until Monday morning now on the weekend and do the update and if it fails enter a trouble ticket and get on the list and someone will contact you and get a card shipped to you promptly.

• So we are expected to 'brick' our radios to determine if the SD card is defective and then order and wait for a replacement? That does not sound reasonable. Mine is a very old 6500 that I have had since new. In my decades of tech support to medical x-ray, I never asked a customer or field engineer to put a machine down to see if it had a hardware fault and then order a solution. This is an opportunity to be proactive. If I send in my serial number and MAC address, I should receive an SD card in advance. Flex can determine by the information I supply if it needs the SD card.

• Chuckers5
    Chuckers5 Member ✭✭
    I received my replacement SD card. Is it safe to make a backup or image of it before installing.
  • KD0RC

No, don't put the card into any slot but the one in the radio. These are not just windows files that you can do anything with.

• So we are expected to 'brick' our radios to determine if the SD card is defective and then order and wait for a replacement? That does not sound reasonable. Mine is a very old 6500 that I have had since new. In my decades of tech support to medical x-ray, I never asked a customer or field engineer to put a machine down to see if it had a hardware fault and then order a solution. This is an opportunity to be proactive. If I send in my serial number and MAC address, I should receive an SD card in advance. Flex can determine by the information I supply if it needs to card.

• Chuckers5
    Chuckers5 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your reply and I will heed your reply.
  • Chuckers5
    Chuckers5 Member ✭✭
    My 6500 is back up and running fb. First time I ever had the covers off of it so replacing the SD card was pretty straight forward with the instructions provided in Tim's email to me. Great service and makes me very happy I spent the money to buy the 6500 in the first place. o:)
  • Hi everybody,

I run into the very same problem but could at least easily go back to version 3.2.39 as I made a backup before.
    Backup is certainly possible - even on every Windows PC. The format of the SD doesn't matter - you can NOT read the content by using a simple Windows browsers.

All you need to do "BEFORE" you install any backup to your Flex - install "DiskImager32" - it's a free software to create a bit-by-bit image copy of anything which is on SD cards. Here is the link:
    https://win32diskimager.download/
    This tool doesn't check any content - it just creates a copy.....larger SD cards are downsized to what you have had before.

Once you have created a backup on your hard disk you can certainly try around with new versions. If they fail simply restore your working image and you are back to normal.

But note: You can certainly not create copies for others - all this program does is a copy of your existing SD card - bit by bit!
    Also it is always a good idea to backup a new SD card shipped to you by Flex.....use "read only" and create a new image.....after that you are safe no matter what comes in the next release.
    Also if your Flex fails one day (due to a SD card failure) use a new professional grade SD card and restore your last backup image. You will be back to business in just minutes!

Andy, DL6EAT - W6EAT

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.