Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

TX1 keeps resetting

Options

Have a 6400M and latest version of SSDR. Just hooked up my Elecraft KAT500 and KPA500 and all works well. Then after several band changes using profiles the amp won't xmit on some band. So I found that in the TX band settings windows the TX1 setting for that band was turned off, all the others were still on. Yesterday it happened and 3 bands were turned off. Seems that the switches get turned off automagically.

Any ideas what is happening and what I can do about it?

Fred, K0FG

Comments

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you leaving time between radio power on and off and power supply on and off?

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I created a support ticket for this.

• K0FG_Fred
    K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭
    Options

Did not turn off the radio when I had this problem.

Per a message from Ken, NM9P, I created a new xmit profile for all my global profiles. Have not had this problem today so maybe that fixed it, I hope so. Had never created a xmit profile before, just used the default.

Fred, K0FG

• Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin
    Options

If you are changing bands and modes by using Global profiles, you may also be changing the Transmit Profiles. When you save a Global Profile, it saves the Transmit Profile that was active when the Global Profile was saved.

The TX Band Settings table, which controls the function of the TX1, TX1, TX3, TX Delay, and other items is part of the Transmit Profile.

If The Transmit Profile changes, these settings may be different.

If you want to assure consistent performance of the TX1 settings, then you will need to go back to each of your Global Profiles and recall them one at a time. Then select the Transmit Profile that has all the settings you desire, then re-save the Global Profile with THIS Transmit Profile as the active Transmit profile.

(BTW: Global Profiles were not really designed for this purpose. If you want to remember particular band/frequency/mode combinations, the "Memory" table" is the best tool for that) Global Profiles were designed to remember major "state of the radio" configurations - Such as setting up a configuration with multiple panadapters and slices for SO2R, or Multiple Panadapters and Slices for multi-band WSJT-X, or Multiple panadapters and Transverter settings for Full Duplex Satellite operation, etc.

It is best to create at least ONE Transmit Profile, rather than the DEFAULT that you have configured with all the settings that you use. Then EXPORT all of your profiles when you have things the way you want them, as a safety measure.

If you only use DEFAULT Profiles - either Default Transmit Profiles or Default Mic Profiles, if you ever need to perform a factory Reset of the radio, your default profiles will reset to the original DEFAULT settings and all your hard work will have been lost.....

The DEFAULT is designed to be the "Starting Place" or example/model that is used as the basis of your main operating Transmit Profiles.

I usually recommend that you create one for BAREFOOT, and another for when using an amplifier, so that you can keep the different power levels and TX1, TX2, TX3 settings separate. Use on when barefoot and use the other one that has the TX1, etc. settings enabled to Key your amplifier.

Many do this. Others, who always have the amplifier in line, find it unnecessary. But I would always use at least one non-DEFAULT Transmit Profile. Even if you call it NORMAL.

You can try this by reprogramming a dedicated Transmit Profile, and saving that with your Global Profiles. Then recall different Global Profiles, then return to the one you just saved. Note that the Transmit Profile that you saved along with the Global Profile will also be recalled.

• K0FG_Fred
    K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭
    Options

I have done what you suggested. I created a barefoot profile and saved it with each band/mode profile. Perhaps that is why the TX1 is not changing now. Thank you.

I am using global profiles to handle all my band/freq/mode changes. The memories do not contain the antenna setting, so when I switch from 80 meters to 20 meters using a memory I'm still using the dipole. If I use a global profile for that then the antenna gets changed along with the other parameters. Seems easier to me.

Thanks for the help. Now I have more work to do, creating more profiles.

Fred, K0FG

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭
    Options

Len,

That's what I've been doing.

I couldn't care less about multiple panadapters and slices for SO2R, or Multiple Panadapters and Slices for multi-band WSJT-X, or Multiple panadapters and Transverter settings for Full Duplex Satellite operation, etc.

I don't use that stuff. If you do, then you can configure your profiles accordingly.

I just want to know what my power, band, mode etc etc is set to when I start a session. It's a starting point that I can change during an operating session according to conditions etc. But I want MY DEFAULTS back next time I select a global profile so I know where I am. What is especially important to many users is the power setting to the amplifier for that band.

I use 3 operating modes so I have 3 global choices for each band that I use. For instance,15CW, 15SB and 15RY. The underlying transmit profile contains my operating preferences for each of these modes. Drive power included. When I have the transmit profile the way I want it, I load and save a global profile with the same name.

I always change band/mode by selecting a global profile and my radio is automatically setup the same every time I go to a different band and/or mode.

There are a lot of ways to use profiles depending on how you use your radio but the most important thing about profiles is that they don't change unless you want to change them.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

A recent (2 years ago?) flex changed all the profiles to autoupdate followed by much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Their story is it was done to reduce help desk tickets due to people inadvertently screwing up the profiles. So now anything changed that is saved as a parameter in profile is auto-saved, wiping out the saved data. So there is no saved default or restore point. Should at least ask before saving. I talked to Steve Hicks about this at Orlando. Apparently a sore point, because his only response was “I get it”. This totally defeats the concept of a repeatable return point. Fortunately FRSTACK memories don’t fail in this way, so I use the named memories in Stack as a known point.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.