Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Profiles and Slices

I'm a new SmartSDR user. Just received my 6400M a couple of weeks ago. Today I tried to open 2 slices on the same band so that I could use FT8 in one slice, and listen for SSB traffic in the other slice.

I have separate global profiles for FT 8 and SSB. Each of these global profiles has their own transmit and mic profiles associated with them. I was expecting that I could apply a different global profile (and associated transmit and mic profiles) to each slice. This would allow me to have the appropriate RX/TX eq's, TX audio setup, power level, bandwidths, etc. applied to each slice individually. If I were to change the TX slice, I would have also expected that the transmit/mic profile would have changed to reflect what I had selected for that slice.

This doesn't seem to be the case, and limits the usefulness of multiple slices within SmartSDR. Am I missing something here, or is SmartSDR lacking in this area? Maybe what we need is a hierarchy of Global Profile > Slice Profile > Transmit & Mic Profiles.

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Trying making 1 Global Profile to do what you want first. 1 slice on FT8 and the other on SSB. The Global will load the required MIC profile.

Transmit profiles are related to the selected antenna port.

So, setup everything the way you want it, then save the Global Profile. See if that works for you.

Section 18.3, the first 3 paragraphs explain it the best.

• K9YK
    K9YK Member ✭✭
    Mike, I don't think this works. Let's say I'm using slice A for FT8 and slice B for SSB. Slice A has a transmit profile and mic profile to set the correct power and audio input levels, processor is off, input is DAX, etc. Slice B has a different transmit and mic profile to set the correct power, mic level, process or is on DAX is off, etc.

I want to be able to select slice A and have it transmit with my correct settings for FT8, and then be able to select slice B and transmit with my correct settings for SSB.

I think what we really need are transmit settings that can be associated with the slice (just like the are RX settings are). The way it is right now I can't monitor both FT8 and SSB and, when I hear a station I want to work, quickly select the related slice and just work them.

I could make a global profiles like "transmit FT8, listen SSB" and "transmit SSB, listen FT8", but that's awkward and would loose the SSB frequency I'm tuned to when I change global profiles. So that doesn't really work either.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

I hear what you are saying, and a transmit profile is related to the selected antenna port.

Since what you are using is 2 different modes on the same antenna, you are correct, TX Profiles were not designed to work that way.

If it was me, I would use the TX Profile for SSB and that same one for FT8, since in DIGU mode, all audio modifications are off so Mic profiles and Mic gain are not required. Mic Gain is controlled by DAX Input.

It is impossible to use any SSB Audio feature in a digital mode, so you should be just fine.

In this example on 20M on ANT2 with a TX Profile of ANT2, if I move TX Back and forth between FT8 and SSB, my PROC goes on and off as required. I saw nothing wrong with it.

Give it a try.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.