Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400mobile?

n2ehg
n2ehg Member
trying not to reinvent the wheel, if anyone has done this. and might share some tips. My plan was to use either a Maestro on a flexi arm, set up towards the passenger side, (or. a ipad.) w/a 6400 mounted in the rear. in the past i've used a regular ft891 w/a sgc tuner and a big. whip. Welcome any thoughts..tnx

Comments

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

A Maestro, with its knobs seems more feasible than the other choices. An iPad touch screen is pretty small to use touch screen while in motion, and a mouse requires some flat surface.

personally, I would use my 891 over the flex.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

A decent HF mobile rig would cost less than a Maestro.

• n2ehg
    n2ehg Member
    edited April 2022
    thanks to those that. responded, i was understanding the price was higher, pricing aside, open to tips and ideas. My thoughts were falling in love w/the spectrum views and. when camping. can wifi in w/my ipad etc. (i currently have a commercial cell modem/router in the car w/wifi n ethernet). maybe. it's a crazy idea. but. wondering if anyone tried something along these lines. I do agree the Maestro might be the way to go cockpit wise.
  • Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin

My thoughts: The Maestro has easier and more practical Mic, PTT and CW Keyer connections for the mobile operator than using a laptop or iPad. and it is more "eyes on the road" friendly.

But then, I have run my 6500 remotely using just my iPhone and the Hands-free speaker & Mic in my Chevy Equinox and it worked fine, but I needed to pull over to make any adjustments. Using a FLEX on an iPhone would be the ultimate "distracted driving" scenario.

• n2ehg
    n2ehg Member
    ok thanks was hoping a few others might. join in maybe i'll be the first to try that particular set up... appreciate the tips. from all. Ken it's great. you experimented. in the mobile, I used to have hf in the car was fun. miss it...
  • flyham
    flyham Member ✭✭

I use the iPad and iPhone when mobile/remote with a Griffin Powermate Bluetooth. If you can find one, it gives you a VFO knob and PTT.

• W5ERX
    W5ERX Member ✭✭

I like your idea and think it would be a real great way to operate mobile. I especially like the camping scenario. I agree with others that in motion, the Maestro would be the only way I'd feel comfortable doing this. Much less distracting and easy to adjust. You could then, just pop it out and place it on your camp table. Very nice.

I would consider checking with Flex regarding the durability of the 6400 in this scenario though. I think it should not be an issue if it is mounted well (possibly on some soft rubber isolators). Just something to think about.

It would be great to see pictures when complete.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.