Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Heil Sound microphones and Flex, are there compatibility issues?

I was about to purchase a PR781 to plug into my 6400 until I saw that the compatibility list on the Heil web site did not include Flex. Several 3-Pin XLR mics are listed (PR10, PR20/UT, PR28, PR30, PR40, PR77D, The Fin) as compatible, but not the Heil PR781 which is reportedly designed for amateur radio use. The cable I had intended to use is Tisino XLR to 3.5mm with a separate PTT foot switch. Should I avoid the PR781? Is another Heil mic highly recommended? Thanks!

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

All Heil mic’s can work work FlexRadio if you have the correct cable.

Many use the PR781. I’m sure others will comment.

Answers

• Lou KI5FTY
    Lou KI5FTY Member ✭✭

I have the PR781G and love it. Works great.

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭

I have the PR-40 and love it. Works great! W2IHY eq and comp, then balanced input to the Flex.

Mike G4GWH

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Flex Radio sells Heil microphone adapter cables that work with the 781.

James

WD5GWY

• mark1161
    mark1161 Member ✭✭

Good Evening All,

I have a FLEX 6400M and am using a Heil PR10 with a generic XLR to 3.5mm Amazon cable. I am seeing no output on the panadapter. I am keying the rig with PTT but no output. Can I assume the cable is incompatible with the radio?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Mark

KK2L

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like indeed the cable you are using is not wired correctly for the 6400.

Thinking back the 6400 1/8" MIC jack at least on early 6400 Radios is slightly different then the 6600 which is a Pseudo Balanced MIC interface.

I would try tying the MIC - connection to the Shield / Ground and the MIC+ to the tip, Make sure your MIC selection is set for MIC.

If this doesn't work you may have to connect it to the accessory Jack or Line Jack.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

The user manual does not indicate any difference between the 6400M and the 6600M in the 3.5 mm mic connector (the 6600M has an additional 6.3 mm balanced audio input).

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

The user manual states mic + to the tip, mic - to the ring and ground or shield to the sleeve.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

YES Neil, I know they are wired the Same on the 3.5mm Jack and the 6400 doesn't have the 6.3mm, I was just suggesting this to Mark for the CABLE he had nothing More nothing Less, sometimes the Chinese get there wires crossed.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.