Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Running a Flex 6600M at 14.6 volts

Options
NA0B
NA0B Member ✭✭
I would like to setup a LiFePO4 battery with an EpicPWRGate to power a Flex 6600M in case there is a power shutdown. The charging voltage for Bienno LiFePO4 batteries is 14.6 volts. Currently the PS is set at 13.8 volts. I could adjust the PS to 14.6 volts and run the Flex 6600M a this voltage.  I know this is within specs (13.8 + 15%), but wanted to be sure there are no potential problems. Perhaps someone has already been doing this and can share his/her experience. Thanks. 

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi

You'll see the voltage range for the radios is 13.8V +/- 15%.  

That is about +/- 2V

I think you answered your own question though. :)

Mike 

Answers

• NA0B
    NA0B Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thanks Mike. 
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I run my Flex like this all the time. I set the power supply voltage to show 13.8 during transmit, which is 14.5 during receive. 
  • NA0B
    NA0B Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thanks John.
  • Tim N9PUZ
    Tim N9PUZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I am currently using a very similar setup. I have the epicPWRGate, my 6400M and 172 Ah of AGM batteries. 

Remember to do some regular maintenance on your power harnesses. Over time PowerPoles and most any other connector may corrode a little. Once a year I mate/unmate them a few times and treat them to a small drop of DeOxit to keep them clean.I do the same with the blade type fuses in my battery harness.

Tim N9PUZ
  • NA0B
    NA0B Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thanks Tim. I appreciate the advice, which I will follow.

• Aurel Richard Chabot
    Options
    I currently run my 6400M on batteries full time, as the power here goes out at least twice a week and is very frustrating. What i have noticed is when i do power the 6400M down, i can still hear it running inside and some noticeable audio coming from the Speaker?
    is this normal and will it cause problems down the road.
    Thankyou in advance.
    Rick
    VA3AGX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.