Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Slight confusion over advertised functionality... :0(

So , my new Flex Radio 6600M arrived , including delivery just shy of 5,300 € . Nice bit of kit. Somewhat feeling a little let down that I now have to spend 59,99 € on an app from a 3rd party to use one of the main features as advertised. :0( hmm.. I like how Flex advertise the radio as having a remote control system for IOS. But then fail to mention that the remote option for IOS is a paid addon from someone else and not them.
Maybe I will buy a Power Genius XL for 6000€ only to be told that I must go to eBay and get a plug for 500€ that will make it function. Should have spent the money on a 7610.

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Good luck running the 7610 from an iPad with the feature set SmartSDR for IOS has.

Yes, it is a separate app developed by a third party.

If you are good at programming, you can write your own app. Icom won't let you do that (they don't have a free API available).

Enjoy the radio. Once you are using it and see the benefits, you'll forget what a 7610 is :-)

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@chestertoncourt

I own both a Flex and a 7610. I am not impressed at all with the ICOM. You just spent 5300 Euros on one really nice rig. Now you're complaining about 60?. Everything in the iOS world is paid. It's not Android. I spent $59.99 on my SSDR for iOS and really love it. I can remote from anywhere. It's simply a breeze.

The 7610 is a great rig. I guess. I can't say I like it. Yet. The Windows software to get it to remote is at least $60. The receiver in it to me is difficult to make quiet. It's fatiguing.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Yup, the iPad app is available. One purchase lets it work on any device on the same account, so iPad, iPhone, second iPad, second iPhone whatever. The iPad is the most portable remote solution, but a laptop loaded with the free SmartSDR is close second, and allows the use of frstack and any of the other windoze based products. The laptop or iPad can also be used local to the 6600M for enhanced functionally.

• Thanks for your comments everyone , I think perhaps I didn’t make my point correctly in the first place, its not the fact that its €60 for the app-(app developers should get paid just like any other, my close friend is the developer for repeaterbook and I can see the work involved) for me its more about the fact that’s produced by a 3rd party and has not been produced by Flex themselves in house- i cant understand why. If I view the forum area " Smart SDR for IOS " its a little troubling to see all the reports of " not connecting " and such. Granted these issues may be the result of bad networking by the user and not the fault of the app or radio....
    Please don’t think I am here just to complain . I know that’s what it sounds like .... I have been a flex 5000A user for about 7 years before I brought the 6600M, and Its been a fantastic radio , I still have it , I still use it and ill keep it.
    Its really my own issue as I am sure that somewhere online it states that the app is not from Flex.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited March 2022

When Flex released the API for the 6000 series they opened the door for people to be able to write their own apps. Anyone can do it Flex will help with API related issues.

Marcus wrote SmartSDR for IOS and then SmartSDR for MAC. Flex endorses those products and supports Marcus to keep his apps current with new versions of radio firmware.

Why should Flex develop their own IOS app and go into competition with 3rd party developers? It is counter to what Flex wants to do by providing the API to developers. We use the API for our Node Red project.

Marcus does all of the development and support for the app. This includes having to test it on each variant of hardware or IOS software Apple releases. So that is why he charges the one time fee.

Buy a new car. Get to the dealer and find out there are no floor mats! What? They should be included. Nope. An option. Not every Flex user will have an iPhone of MAC so why should they have to bear the cost required for engineers to develop an app, and continually update it to keep up with Apple, if they will never benefit from the app. If Flex did develop their own app then the engineering and support costs would be passed along to all 6000 series owners in the price of the radio.

Elecraft is doing this with both the K3 and new K4 with the Win4K3Suite software. Written by a third party and it is a separate cost. Oh, and Icom charges for RS-BA1 software.

Dave wo2x

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭

I understand your concern but you should judge the product based on performance and support. You will find that the Mac software products for Flex are outstanding, arguably more flexible and better supported than the Flex offerings. Certainly, more timely updates are available addressing issues that surface, and/or adding new functionality based on customer requests.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

The flex paradigm is the radio is a server to be accessed by external software to suit various needs/desires. The is a significant change from the closed system of other manufacturers. Flex does provide a basic display in SmartSDR, but with open access to other approaches. This allows each owner to customize the interface to the radio if they choose to do so.

• David N4IW
    David N4IW Member ✭✭

Marcus has written an outstanding program that works flawlessly in the right hands and should be paid for his hard work.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.