Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

microphones for 6400 M

KB4OIF
KB4OIF Member ✭✭
I am looking for info about what microphones will work with the Flex 6400M.  I have heil HM-12, PR-10.  HM-pro handi mike.  Where can one find out what mikes will go with the flex and the cables needed that will interface with it.

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    You can wire up just about any microphone to a FLEX-6000 unless it requires phantom power (48 VDC) to operate, like large diaphragm mics.  People have used PC headsets, value mics from Radio Shack (when they were in business) and high-end audiophile mics.  Only your budget is the limit.

For Heil mics, if the mic is a 4-pin XLR, you need this:
    http://cart.flexradio.com/4-Pin-XLR-to-18in-35mm-TRS-and-RCA-for-FLEX-6400M-or-FLEX-6600M_p_1027.htm...

For 3-pin XLR, use this:
    http://cart.flexradio.com/3-Pin-XLR-to-18in-35mm-TRS-for-FLEX-6400M_p_1026.html
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Hi Tim.  thanks.  I have a Heil HM-pro,  Pr-10, Heil HM-12   and various others.  Heil Pro 7 and a Heil pro set.
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Will they have these available at the Hamcation in Orlando or should I order them here?

• Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2018
    As a practice, FlexRadio does not take actual products to hamfests to sell.  We take an order request that is fulfilled and shipped from Texas.
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    OK since I will need them for my mikes, I will order the cables today.
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    OK.  Found out my Pro 7 has a IC element.  If I change that to a H-74 element will it  work on the 6400M.
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    http://cart.flexradio.com/3-Pin-XLR-to-18in-35mm-TRS-for-FLEX-6400M_p_1026.html     

Is this the right cable to match up with the Heil 781 mic.   Says something about does not have push to talk.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    Yes.  And you will have to provide your own switch connected to the RCA PTT connector since the PR-781 does not have one
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    VOX does work well with the 781 and the 6000 series if you dont have PTT or rather use VOX.
  • KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I only use Vox with my headsets. It works very well.
    BTW a Plantronics RF headset CS361N has a 600 ohm transformer in it.
    It works very well. On the air, my friends can not distinguish it from a Electro-Voice RE20 
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Can you folks point me toward a switch that will work.  I have never had a good experience with VOX.  Too many ah's and em's.
    KB4OIF
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited February 2018
    I use a Heil FS2 foot switch at main operating position and RadioSport hand PTT switch with Maestro. The hand switch is nice since it has a locking on/off button and a momentary button. Whichever you are more comfortable using. Dave wo2x
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks Dave.  This is my first flex.  Trying to learn what works with what.  Mine should be here first part of April. 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited February 2018
    Any switch that provides a dry closure contact should work for the PTT. The cable from the switch needs to terminate into an RCA male connector for the 6000 series radios. With that said I have read of all kinds of stuff being used for PTT, from a homemade project box with toggle switch to a sewing machine pedal. Dave wo2x
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have successfully used electric guitar/piano sustain pedals for PTT foot switches. They are robust and invariably designed to "stick" to the floor with their weight and good rubber pads. Almost all come with a switch to change close/open on activating the pedal, and a decent long cord with a 1/4 inch phone plug. And they cost aroun $20!
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    OK.  Got the switch and the cable ordered.  Thought I had a switch, but could not locate it.  Probably sold it years ago at our local hamfest.
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Am I correct that the heil mike's that are IC do not work with the flex or am i all wet with my thinking????
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    Yes, they can work, but they have to be wired properly, as noted above.
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    ok Thanks Tim.  
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Even when he is off work he is helping me out. 
  • Tom NA
    Tom NA Member
    edited November 2018
    I also have a heil HM-10 and Heil HM-12 that work equally well with my 6300.  
  • JohnF
    JohnF Member
    [{"insert":"One last question from a newbie. I own a Heil PR 40 and with mic gain turned to 100%, +20 gain kick in, the audio is still reported as low.. would the purchase of a 781 fix my problem?\n"}]
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi John, The PR-40 has significantly more output than my HM-10, so there must be something else wrong. Are you sure that you have the PR-40 selected, and not the PC mic, for example?

Your Level meter should show the peak indicator just below the 0 dB mark (i.e. not in the red). Are you able to achieve that? You can see your mic level without transmitting by enabling the button shown below:

• JohnF
    JohnF Member
    [{"insert":"yes sir. Tried again today. the 6400m Works great with my radio sport headset and the factory supplied hand mic. But with the pr 40 I have to yell to drive my amp. the pr 40 works just fine when connected to my icom 7610. The cable I am using with the flex is new XLR to 3.5 the radio was purchased new in December2021 I read where Tim said a mic pre amp with the pr 40…. ??\n"}]
  • David Decoons, wo2x

Yes, an external preamp will help.

I suggest the PR40 into an external preamp or mixer, then into the radio. Use the external gain and leave the internal 20 dB preamp off.

I personally use the W2IHY 8 band EQ and EQ Plus with an RE-27ND and get excellent results. Internal preamp is off and balanced in level set to 26. I also tested with the mic in on the 6600m using the cables made by Julius, W2IHY. It is probably more than most people need but I’ve been using Julius’ equipment for years, long before the 6000 series radios came out.

Dave wo2x

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

I use the "Cloudlifter" for 30dB of Microphone gain. It uses the XLR balanced connectors.

You will also need a source of Phantom 48v power, such as:

Alan. WA9WUD

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭

I second the remarks by David Decoons:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I suggest the PR40 into an external preamp or mixer, then into the radio. Use the external gain and leave the internal 20 dB preamp off.

I personally use the W2IHY 8 band EQ and EQ Plus

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This is exactly what I use and the results, now I have set it up, are really great.

73 Mike G4GWH

• KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭

Thanks for all the info.

• n4frl
    n4frl Member
    I use a Neewer NW-800 mic. Good reports. I just acquired a W2IHY 8 Band EQ. I have been trying to get it setup but not sure about some of the settings. On the 6400 I use mic in . Built in EQ turned off , processor set to normal , mic gain set to about 20, TX BW 50-5000 , 20db boost off , Even though this mic requires the Bias I turn it off in Radio Settings and let the W2IHY jumper provide the phantom power.
    I begin with both the W2IHY mic in and mic out set fully CCW. With nothing but the box turned on I bring up the mic in to where the green light just flickers and then back it down to no flicker all. The mic out is then adjusted or proper level deflection on the flex to just past 0 db.

After all that is where i seem to come to a problem. At this point on the W2IHY the downward expander light is solid green and no amount of adjustment will make it turn off. If I flip the downward expander on then the green will go off and I can adjust for no green light on key upa fab running . Problem I can still hear the fan running in my headphones even no light is on and it makes it difficult to get the adjustment just right

Anyone care to post their EQ settings for a starting point?
    Anyone using the INRAD 629 mic and DMS-1 base? What are you results
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭

I worked with the W2IHY box for over a month trying to get it to sound right. After 2 calls to the guy that builds them, i requested my money back. I no longer have the 6400M. Have a 6600M now.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.