Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Writelog CW Display

K0FG_Fred
K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭
edited March 2022 in Third-Party Software

Trying to get writelog working with my new 6400M. Using latest versions of Writelog, SSDR and the Writelog Flex driver.

Got everyting working except the cw display. The Writelog front panel shows signals coming in but they don't make it to the cw display box, it's dead. And when I click on display setup nothing happens.

Anyone have Writelog cw display working that can give me some advice?

Fred, K0FG

Comments

• Tim K9WX
    Tim K9WX Member ✭✭✭

Have you set the proper DAX channel? It needs to be set in 2 places. First, in SSDR, make sure it is set in the slice flag: or the corresponding setting on the 6400M's front panel:

Then find the file "WlogSbControlW6.exe" in your WriteLog folder. Mine installed (Windows 10) in C:/Program Files (x86)/WriteLog and select the same DAX channel. This screen is for an SO2R setup using two slices and two panadapters but with the 6400M I think you would only set this for a single radio:

Tim K9WX

• K0FG_Fred
    K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭

Thanks Tim... Yup have both of those configured the way you suggest. I think the rx channel is working cuz on the Writelog front panel display I see signals and the filter setting. But see nothing in the cw display box. Wayne told me the same info you gave me, but for me it does not work. Xmit works fine.

Also when I get the comm ports all setup then I hit the save config button, but it does not do it. Everytime I start Writelog I must setup the comm ports. Never had this problem before. And if I setup Writelog without the Flex driver it works exactly the same, no cw display and no save config.

I can work the contests just fine if nobody is going more than maybe 20 wpm.

Fred, K0FG

• K0FG_Fred
    K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭

I found on the Writelog cw display setup dialog you need to turn on stereo (2 radios). Then cw display works ok.

Fred, K0FG

• K0FG_Fred
    K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭

Well that does make cw display copy but it copies about 5-6 seconds behind. Kinda hard to keep up in a contest like that.

Still no joy with Writelog cw display.

Fred, K0FG

• K0FG_Fred
    K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭

Got the Writelog all working properly. Bands ****, but the hardware and software are good.

Fred, K0FG

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

So Fred, what is the magic combination?

• K0FG_Fred
    K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭

I'm not sure how to explain what has to be done. There are 827 different settings that must be used, three of them are explained in the instructions. The Writelog help desk sent me pointers to two instruction writeups, neither of which could be located at the url that was given.

The screen capture about how to install the writelog flex drivers show four ports being assigned. Port one was the flex radio. Port two points to nothing. Port three is a Yaesu FT-1KMP. And port four is an Elecraft K2. No explanation why you need three radios when you are only using the Flex.

Finally figured out that three is a PTT comm port and line four is a winkey, I think. Oh yeah, you need to set those up in SDRCat before you start writelog. But the instructions make it pretty clear that the flex drivers will handle all that, you don't need to do a thing.

And run the WlSboardW6.exe file, not the sound board mixer file, to assign the DAX RX 1 to receive and the DAX TX 1 to the transmit channel. This must be done before you start writelog. Missed that in the instructions too.

I think the key to getting the cw display working is in the cw display setup box you need to turn on stereo, rather than mono. Copied code about 5-6 seconds behind. But after I closed writelog and restarted it, three or four times, then it started working properly and seems to be fine now.

So maybe: 1) define a SDRCAT port for PTT and another for winkey. 2) in the ports setup point one comm port to the flex radio using the flex driver - comm PTT must be YES. 3) assign the PTT port to another line. 4) assign the winkey in another line - comm PTT must be RTS PTT. You don't need to assign a radio name to the ptt and winkey lines. You can assign another line to the same Flex radio that will cover slices c & d, as the first one will cover slices a & b.

In the radio drop down set this radio to be the RIGHT radio, not the left radio.

In cw display setup make it stereo, not mono.

This should get you close. If you have any questions ask writelog support.

Fred, K0FG

• K0FG_Fred
    K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭

The cw display still does not copy very well. Have used this program for years and the cw copy was always better than any other I tried. Not so now. Don't know if it's a problem with the DAX data getting into the decoder? I turned up the DAX RX 1 all the way to try to get more signal into writelog but that did not help. The decoder seems to be shifting frequency. Not the transmitting station cuz they all do it. Peak the rcvr right on the audio and it bounces around so it does not stay on the peak of the decoder.

The incoming signal must be at least 10 over to be decoded, any weaker signal will only copy 1 of every 3-4 letters sent, and they may be wrong. Signals that are 20 over seem to do pretty well. And remember writelog only copies code that is around 20 wpm or more.

Anyone have any ideas about something to try I am certainly willing to go there.

Fred, K0FG

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.