Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

POWER SUPPLY CAUSES STRANGE LIGTHNING IN 6400M FRONTAL WHEN OFF AND ON

Hi, I am a new owner. With a brand new Flexradio.

When I turn on and off just my power supply, (with the 6400M power button off), I can see see some ligths light very briefly in the front control panel and then disapperaring, also I can hear some electronic sound pop out and the power on/off blinks a few times in red later its dark.

When I power the radio on, an electronic clik is heard too...but it starts normally...no problem, but later whwn i finish, I press the power button wich is in green to shut off the radio, this button in flashing in green a few times and close out, but at the very end it makes the same electronic little ****.

Then I shout off the power supply and again the power on/off button is flashing in red, and makes the same electronic ****, and becomes dark.

Is it normal....¿¿??

What type and model of power supply it the best ¿¿??

Thank you in advance, regards and 73 for all

Best Answers

• SD489
    SD489 Member
    Answer ✓
    **** means noise, sorry I am a rooky...
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

All seems normal. The Flex Radio is always " on " with 13.8 VDC applied to the back power pole terminals; the Flex Radio is always "on."

When you turn the Flex "off" using the front panel button, the radio computer is no longer booted, but it remains on standby until you push the front panel button again to "re-boot" the radio.

Alan. WA9WUD

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Yes, this is perfectly normal. My 6400 behaves exactly as your description.

I don't know what the "best" power supply is. I happen to have an Astron RS 70 M, so that is what I use. It is much bigger than what I need, but since I already have it, that is what I use

Any power supply that can provide the necessary average and peak current at 13.8 volts should be fine. If you have a switching power supply, you will want to make sure that it does not generate noise in the ham bands.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Not saying they are the “best”, but I have a preference for a ps with adjustable output voltage to apply 13.8 volts to the flex during full power output. The MFJ 4230 works well for me. I have several in use at multiple locations without any issues.

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Note that turning off the power supply does not make the power in the radio go to zero. There is a green LED you can see from the side vents that stays green for a while powered by capacitors in the radio. This allows the processor to shut down properly. So you have to unplug the radio or disconnect the radio because even the power supply does not go to zero when switched off.

This procedure is sometimes needed when upgrading firmware and is not necessary when you are just turning the radio on and off. I bring this up because in the past it was confusing to me when working with the my Flex radio.

You can check it out by watching the green LED inside the radio when you turn off the PS.

Bill W9JJB

Answers

• SD489
    SD489 Member
    Many thanks Len and Alan for your cooperation VY 73 dear OM,s- Juan EA6C
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Glad to help, Juan. Enjoy your new radio!

• SD489
    SD489 Member
    Mny thks John and Bill for your kind comments, the have been very usefull for me, Vy 73 DX QRO - Juan EA6C

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.