Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR connection error

Hi all,

I have recently this error coming up now and then.

I am working fine in FT8 with WSJT-X and suddenly during transmit cycle the SSDR client

is losing its connection to the radio and reconnects. It does that a few times in a row.

I have rebooted the radio, the PC and still comes up. But as I said only it happens sometimes and then there are days without any issue.

I am working with minimal power (20-30w).

Anybody have a cloue what can trigger this?

Running SSDR v3.2.39 on a Window 11 64Bit.

Everything runs over the local LAN. No wireless whatsoever.

Thank you

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Val, this could be a switch, router or cable problem.

To debug the issue, I would start by plugging the computer directly into the radio. If the problem persists, change the cable. If that does not cure it, submit a help desk ticket.

If the direct connection fixes it, then you have a switch or router issue. Do you have multiple switches in use? I helped a guy here who had one switch plugged into another switch, then plugged into the router. It worked most of the time, but with audio dropouts. Removing the second switch cured the problem.

If that is not it, try swapping out or bypassing network equipment. For example, if you have a switch, try plugging directly into the router.

• Val  DM1TX
    Val DM1TX Member ✭✭

Hi Len,

I would have said that you were right. It is the network. Yes, 2 switches here.Rebooted everything. Tested 20 and 15 meters band. In 20 m no issues. In 15 m SSDR lost almost immediately the conection and indeed the network latency increases. What is then the difference? One band works and wone not. SWR seems fine.

This is maybe bigger than expected?

• KD0RC

Hi Val, Do you have a way to have only one switch between the radio and the router? Also be sure to only have one switch between the computer and router. Plugging the radio and computer directly into the router is best, if you have enough ports for that.

I think that the 15 meter problem is just coincidence. With two switches in series, it works when the switches are in sync (sorry, I don't know the proper term here), then fails when they are far enough out of sync. When I diagnosed this problem locally for a friend, it was a few minute cycle of working and failure. Latency would show very high for a while, then come back down to very acceptable amounts for the next while. This repeats indefinitely. Sometimes he would have no failures all day, and some days it would not work at all.

• Val  DM1TX
    Val DM1TX Member ✭✭

Hi Len, Thank you for your time. You are absolutely right. That is a good ideea. Then I have to do some recabling over the weekend and give it another try. I can plug directly the radio and PC in the same router.

• KD0RC

Hi Val, that sounds great. Let me know how it goes after you make the change.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.