Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Setup instructions for WSJT-X with MAC SmartLink SDR

I am a brand new 6600M owner using an Apple M1 iMAC. Rather than using the FT-8 that comes with Mac SDR, I would like to install the WSJT app and link it to the SDR. I am new to DAX and CAT controls for MAC. I need help. Thanks. Tom KD9QHX

Best Answer

• tomblasco
    tomblasco Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks, I have downloaded xDax and xCat and am attempting setup now!

Tom KD9QHX

Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

You will need a tool such as Loopback, which provides an audio device from application to application. The audio connector is treated as an audio device by SSDR for Mac and by the WSJT-X or other digital app. There are also a few other apps which will do the job - and they are generally not free. The free ones in the past were not very good. Contact Marcus (author of SSDR Mac) for information on getting a break on the cost of Loopback from Rogue Amoeba software.

There are quite a few articles in the Community with help for doing this.

By the way, you can use the Loopback driver to connect both to SSDR and to the “M” front panel GUI in the radio, at the same time.

• tomblasco
    tomblasco Member ✭✭
    Thank you! Tom KD9QHX
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

I should have mentioned that connecting from a Mac to the “M” front panel requires xDax and xCat :-(

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

i run macbook air M1 easily with my 6600m using front panel

first need to down load XDAX and XCAT

second need to load Loopback for audio routine within the mac

third need to build audio routinng devices in loopback

fourth select those devices in XDAX

i here are some pic of how to config loopback device

and

xdax setup

you will notice i have wsjtx specific devices inloopback

caus ei also run fldigi for rttty

and built similar set for fldigi

having separately defined devices keep my accidentally using the wrong app

with just the front panel you can easily run two slices on different bands for FT8

i have run macssdr with 4 slices and separate loopback devices for that configuration

at the end here, i show one example of how to build loopback device when using macssdr

Hope this helps

Paul K3SF

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭

when running multiple FT8 i would recommend using JTBridge as this will connect to all instances of FT8

https://jt-bridge.eller.nu/

and

gives you a integrate view of stations onthe air

JTBridge interface swith macdxlogger for logging those contacts too.

paul K3SF

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭

scrypt to run multiple instances of FT8

note the path to wsjtx app on my macbook air is

/applications/HamRadio/WSJT/wsjtx.app/

all you need to do to make these scrypt work fro you is to substitute your path to the wsjts.app

PaulK3SF

• tomblasco
    tomblasco Member ✭✭
    Thank you! I'll work on implementing your recommendations today. Tom KD9QHX