Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DX Engineering NCC-2 Remote Module

I am starting a new project to look at the possibility of enabling a remote connection to my NCC-2 Antenna Phasing Controller. Power is easy as I already have a home automation controller that can be exposed to NodeRed (Homeseer). I am looking at trying to setup a couple servo controllers with stepper motors with a microcontroller to enable stepping of the knobs and then a couple relays for basic control. There would be two stepper motors to control Balance and Phase, then a couple simple relay logic circuits.

I had purchased a Flex 6600 new to me with the intention of keeping my home office free of radio equipment (I have multiple computers for work) so I had decided to go down the path of SmartSDR on one of my monitors with a large closet for a radio rack. Unfortunately the NCC-2 defeats that intention.

A second benefit of enabling remote control with stepper motors of the Antenna Phase Controller would be enablement of memories for bands to local interference (QTH is urban Nashville) and it is not quiet (both my houses noise and also a multitude of local AM high power stations).

Thoughts? I wish the Beam Forming via software was implemented, but as that has been in the backlog for multiple years I think this might be the next closest option.

Comments

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Tim

I, too, have a DX Engineering NCC-2, and my Flex is remote from my shack.

Your proposed solution seems complicated, for the benefit gained.

In my case, I am using noise cancellation software on my PC, to reduce noise. There are many "plug-ins" available, for this purpose, to be used with a Digital Audio Workstation, DAW, of your choice.

One such example is the RX9 Noise tools, from Izotope. https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rx.html

Alan. WA9WUD

• TimothyDilks
    TimothyDilks Member ✭✭

Hmm, the RX9 Noise tools look interesting, but that is audio only after the signal has entered the Flex whereas the NCC is reducing local interference (mostly from your household electronics RFI) and increasing the SNR directly from the antenna. I agree it might be a little complicated, but we shall see.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Tim

I agree with your comments.....always better to eliminate noise at the source.

But, in the case of the NCC, you are not gaining signal to noise ratio.....the ACC inputs two receive signals, one of which, presumably, is the noise (but in the real world, it also contains some portion of the desired signal), and thru an adjustable phase shift, cancels one from the other. There is no S/N enhancement, because both receivers, contain "signal".

Take a look at the RX9, https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rx/for-post.html

It continuously samples the audio stream, and then uses an AI algorithm, to only pass the voice audio. I found, using this plug-in, the Flex AGC is much less needed.

Alan. WA9WUD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.