Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Audio Mid Range Issue: Any Others?

Options
Alan
Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

I have been working on my TX audio of late, and, in my case, found the Flex 6600 Balanced Microphone Input, may be attuanating the mid range audio frequencies. Have any others made this observation?

I have a Flex 6600 and am using external audio processing, for my microphone, and inputting that to the Flex Balanced RTS input. I can EQ the audio before entering the Flex and see the frequency spectrum and monitor the audio input to the Flex using headphones.

I have been receiving feedback that my mid-range audio frequencies is low, so I have up to 10 db of gain, in my external processing, for the mid-range.

Because I was using external audio processing, I had the internal Flex EQ, off. I set the Flex audio gain to so the audio peaks are below -5db. All looks good, but....I still get feedback the mid range is lacking.

I monitored the actual audio entering the Flex, and it sounds very good, including a good balance on the mid range frequencies. Then, I use the Flex FDX method, to hear what the Flex TX audio soulds like on the RF side, and the mid range is much lower, and I sound "muffled", as expected.....just like the reports I received.

So....it appears, in my case, the balanced mid range I hear going into the Flex is being attenuated. I have confirmed this by looking at the Flex Audio Out Frequency Sprectrum.

So....using the same audio from my external processing, with know good mid range, I used the internal Flex EQ processing, to add up to 10db in the mid ranges.....and now my TX audio has good mid-range balance.

What are other thoughts and ideas?

Alan. WA9WUD

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Alan,

as we talked about on the phone yesterday, we’ll have a sched on the air later after lunch.

Dave wo2x

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I made three mpg audio files.

• Process Microphone Audio, going into the Flex 6600 BAL input
    • TX Audio, with Flex EQ Off
    • TX Audio, with Flex EQ On.

Here is a link to my Google Drive to use the files:

Here is a screenshot of the Audio Settings:

Anyone, any thoughts? Notice the missing midrange from the input audio, and the recovery of the mid range using the Flex internal EQ.

Do others hear their Flex 6600 BAL audio in, attenuating well balacnce audio, from the microphone?

Alan. WA9WUD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.