Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DFM,FM observations when used to copy satelitte downlinks

W0DHB
W0DHB Member ✭✭
This past week at least 2 Satellites were launched that have PSK31 transponders that uplink on 10m and downlink on 70cm.
The downlink is FM, the uplink is DIGU.

PSK31 Beacons are transmitted centered at 312Hz.

Currently both FM and DFM audio appear to cut off at about 300Hz and this prevents the beacon from decoding correctly.

Is there any user setting to change this cut off to a lower frequency, say 150Hz which is the what the PowerSDR cutoff ? 

Answers

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    +Me Too on this thread.   Please make that adjustment.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    There is no user configuration to change this cutoff.  It is done this way to prevent CTCSS tone bleed thru.
  • W0DHB
    W0DHB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    CTCSS bleed through isn't a issue with DFM though, correct ?
    Have it adjust itself based on the tone frequency you're using ?
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    I've always thought that that should be a user option.   This is a good example of a use case where we don't need it.   I also don't want it for when I am talking simplex to friends.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I have entered this report into our bug tracker for further investigation.  Please report any additional information related to this specific issue in this community topic.
  • Jim    W3IPO
    Jim W3IPO Member
    edited May 2015
    Just to add another Me Too
  • W0DHB
    W0DHB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    An update to my original post: The upcoming FOX satellites are going to be using sub audio telemetry so that telemetry can be carried on the FM downlink along with voice. Testing with some AMSAT test files shows that SmartSDR with it's 300Hz brickwall does not allow the telemetry through. The 5000 which has a gradual roll-off below 150Hz allows the telemetry through marginally. Pretty please, can we get a user option in SmartSDR?! Thanks Dave W0DHB
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    This was addressed in 1.5.   I was involved in the FM tweaks.

#2112 FM post-demod default filter width to 200-4500 Hz
    #2087 FM: Post demod filters in DFM are now 0-5500 Hz to allow digital SAT operation
    #2087 FM: Transmit filters can now be changed
  • W0DHB
    W0DHB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks for pointing that out, next time I'll rtfm :-) My apologies .
  • glider73
    glider73 Member ✭✭
    Running the latest version of SSDR on a 6600M I have found what appears to me a DFM filter issue which can be seen when using the UZ7HO high speed sound modem software monitoring the open squelch audio stream. If I preselect any filter width and go to DFM the filter opens to about 5400 Hz if I select any other DFM filter width the filter closes to about 2700 Hz and can't be opened up without going into FM mode and then back to DFM. Also why does the DFM filter selection have eight options but really there is only one selection available?
  • glider73
    glider73 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    The filter window size changes in SSDR but not in the actual audio stream which made me think it was working but checking the audio stream it appears to not actually widen to match the filter size chosen.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

When you are testing this, I assume you are using the DAX Audio stream and not the Audio from the back of the radio?

• glider73
    glider73 Member ✭✭
    Using DAX only I sent in a ticket today with some documentation they sent in on to engineering. I have not tried sat transmissions yet with the Flex I have other hardware was taught if you can't hear em you can't work em it does work great for reception was getting ready for 9600 baud see if it can catch up with my IC-910H hi hi. 73 N3ICK
  • W0DHB
    W0DHB Member ✭✭

There is an outstanding bug report about this (#4688) that I reported several years ago that covers this issue.

Because of the relatively few people using 9.6K packet it has not been prioritized.

Please update your ticket to reference #4688 as it may help getting some resource applied to it.

Thanks

Dave W0DHB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.