Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Looking for headset

Hello all

I need a good headset for contest ssb. My experience is a lot of pressure on my ears after several hours. I sold my Radiosports RS60CF because of it. I have also tried several Heil products.

Maybe I should look at professional markets, Shure or Beyer? My radio is Flex6400

Requirements

-Professional

-Over ear

-Lightweight

-Comfortabel, hours of contesting

-No leather

-No Bluetooth

-Budget 300 euro's

-Suitable for Flex6400

Thanks for replies!

Laurens PD9X

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Laurens, I have a Yamaha CM-500 headset that I got for $60 USD. It works great with my Flex 6400 and I find it comfortable, even for long periods. I am not much of a contester, so I do tend to take it off more often than a real contester would.

It does not block out much ambient room noise, and it is not what I would call "professional", but it is the best headset I have ever used and is very comfortable. I have tried some of the Radiosport and Heil headsets for short periods, and they are nice (but expensive), but I like this cheap headset better. I am not sure that it would be the right thing for your operation, but it is something to consider.

I did have to wire up a simple mic adapter for it, so that is a down-side. I managed to fit the adapter completely into a headphone jack so I don't notice that it is there.

On the plus side, the mic sounds great, and I can operate it with a flat TX EQ curve. I just drop the lows and very highs and leave the rest on 0 dB.

Depending on your voice, you may need to set this differently, but this works well for me.

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

Hi Laurens... I use Steelseries Arctis headsets -- I have a 1 and a 5. They're gaming headsets, very comfortable. You might have to purchase some adapters to plug into the 6400, but they work fine with my 6500.

• Laurens PD9X
    Laurens PD9X Member ✭✭

The choice fell on the Sennheiser HMD-300. perfect fit!

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

These look really good Laurens. Glad you found something that will work for you. Let us know how it works out in real use!

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

By the way, here's an excellent Youtube on how to adjust the TX mic equalizer for your mike and voice..

Adjusting the 6000 for the Standard Hand Mike, or any new mike - YouTube

• JoeWW
    JoeWW Member
    has anyone tried the Heil BM17 headset on the Flex Radio? KD9KTA Joe

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.