Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6700 - No dashes (dots are OK)

Just noticed this evening that my 6700 will not transmit CW dashes, but will send dots. Have not used CW in a few weeks, and am wondering if a component failed or if I am missing something. Using a Bencher BY-1 which tests OK. Substituted a similar cable to test and rule out cable failure, and the problem is not a faulty Bencher or its cable.

Any ideas of what else to look for are appreciated before I start a support ticket.

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Jerry, that is the same symptom as plugging a keyer into the key jack and leaving Iambic turned on. So just to be sure, your BY-1 paddles are connected directly to your 6700 key jack with no keyer in between - right?

• Jerry W2TXB
    Jerry W2TXB Member ✭✭

That is correct... no external keyer. Bencher paddle connected directly to the front Key jack. Iambic is selected in radio CW setup menu. If I select the Swap function, I get dashes but no dots.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Well if key and cable are both truly OK, then I would suspect the key jack in the radio. Probably time to submit a help desk ticket.

On the off-chance that it might help, you might want to export your profiles and do a factory reset (if you haven't already tried that).

• Jerry W2TXB
    Jerry W2TXB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2022

That's what I was thinking... internal hardware failure, but wanted to be sure. Had a problem with CW a few years ago. They replaced an IC and it had been OK until now.

• Jerry W2TXB
    Jerry W2TXB Member ✭✭

Looks like time file a support/service ticket...

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭

I have the same (?) problem with my 6500. My work around is to use the Maestro for CW. I'm waiting for something more "serious" to fail before sending unit out for repair!

73 Martin AA6E (occasional CW op)

• Jerry W2TXB
    Jerry W2TXB Member ✭✭

My 6700 just arrived back from Flex and the CW functions appear to be working OK so far... they did a few other updates and repairs and it should be "better than new". I have made one SSB contact already on 75 M and received great signal reports... now on to CW.

The only thing I noticed is the GPSDO shows "Active" but is not functioning. When they tested and recalibrated the radio, it worked (as it did for me when I sent it to them. Going to research this a bit more...

• Jerry W2TXB
    Jerry W2TXB Member ✭✭

Update: The GPSDO and related functions are working as intended... took a long time for the GPS to "lock in" on enough birds, but I just left it there overnight. By the next morning, all was (and remains) good.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.