Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tuner Genius and 6600M

Hi.

Today I received my Tuner Genius 1x3. Am I correct in thinking that I cannot just connect it to my 6600M using the LAN cable and expect it to work?

I have done exactly that, and it will not display the frequency selected by the radio itself. I just get "RF Sense" and "N/A" where I was expecting eg. 40 for 40 metres and, say, 7.130.

If I press "tune" on the TGXL, I get red warning "NO BAND DATA"

If I try to transmit with microphone, I get "NO PTT IN"

I must admit I thought that it was supposed to talk and listen to the 6600M just using the LAN cable.

Do I need to use the TGXL app to set it all up? IF that is the case, am I right in thinking that it will be next-to-useless if all I have is a Mac computer?

Lots of question, sorry, but I have waited for so long for this new toy, and so far it is not giving me the results I was expecting!

Thanks. Mike. G4GWH

Best Answers

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

""If your TG utility, running on parallels Windows, does not "discover" the TG, the userguide gives instructions for entering the TG's IP address manually. You can find the TG IP address on the front panel display of the TG.""

Hello Alan. Thanks for your info. and help. I have exactly the scenario you state above. However, I have searched the TGXL manual and cannot find the instructions to which you refer. The Firmware is 1.1.6 and the IP is 192.168.250, noted at the front of the TGXL. Windows parallels seems to open satisfactorily. Downloading the Utility (from 4O3A website) goes ok. Clicking on it just gives me no local devices or even remote devices listed. I have only the TGXL connected to the iMac (Intel). I have never used remote service, so I do not expect there to be one listed.

Have you any further ideas, or do you think I would be better off raising a support ticket with Flex?

Many thanks. Mike G4GWH

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Mike

My error, I checked the TG manual, and you cannot manually enter the Flex IP address, you should see a Pull Down selector with your Flex, if the TG utility is seeing your Flex Radio via your local LAN.

If your Parallels Windows is not seeing the Flex Radio on the TG utility, then, I would suspect your Network is not set up correctly on Parallels.

First, check that your Virtual, Parallels Windows network is working. Open a windows web browser, and make sure it is, or not, connecting to the internet. This will tell you if your Network is, or not connecting to your LAN.

If Not, here is a link to the Parallels Manual:

The Network configuration starts on page 108. In my case, I found I must use the "Bridged Ethernet", with my Flex Devices, on my local LAN.

Alan. WA9WUD

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Just one caution. Getting a network to function is pretty easy, getting it to function well can be challenging. Just having a 1 gig switch or router is no guarantee of real time throughput. I replaced a switch with a repurposed 100 meg router with everything (WiFi, etc.) disabled and got noticeable improvement.

• Arizona Mike
    Arizona Mike Member ✭✭
    edited July 2022 Answer ✓

I assume that this was resolved, but when using Parallels on a MAC you MUST set the network to Bridged mode under Devices-->Network--> Bridged.

Once this is done, the utility will find the TDXL or PGXL.

Mike

Answers

• Rich M5RIC
    Rich M5RIC Member ✭✭✭

Mike

If it's like the PGXL then yes you need the windows app to set it up so you will need to create a mini network, 6600, TGXL and PC for it to talk together.

Rich

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

My TGXL came with a Quick Start Guide. Very clear instructions on how to setup the TGXL. At STEP 4 which is in the middle of the manual, is what you should be looking at. For convenience I've copied what it says below. STEP 5 is downloading and installing the utility.

TGXL User Guide (link)

"Note the IP address near the lower-left of the screen. If a valid IP address is present, go STEP 5.

If a valid IP address is not present or the IP address is 0.0.0.0, or the IP address starts with 169.254, please turn off the TGXL, check your network connections, and turn the power on again. You cannot continue setup and configuration if the TGXL does not receive and IP address from the the DHCP service on your LAN."

The radio is not a DHCP server, you will not get an IP address from the radio, you need it to go through a router. I don't know your setup as you may already have a router but I'll go through a quick typical setup, accept my apologies if I've over simplified this. I use a wifi router, they typically have 4 LAN ports on the back, this is where you would connect your 6600M, TGXL, other devices like the PGXL or AG, and the computer so to download and install the utilities. The internet is connected to the WAN of the router. The routers usually come with DHCP enables so to give out IP addresses to devices that are plugged into the LAN. the radio comes setup with DHCP as default, so assuming you didn't change anything, it should be simple plug and play. Be sure the router is on first, then turn on your 6600M it will pull an IP address from the router, then turn on your TGXL, it will also pull an IP address from the router which you should see at the bottom left of the TGXL display.

• Mike Steventon

Thank you both for your excellent replies. I have to admit I am struggling a bit. My set-up is Apple iMac Pro, 5 port LAN junction, 6600M. Until today was using Palstar AT5K manual tuner. Everything was working like a dream, using smart-control. My plan is to replace the Palstar with the TGXL (hoping for a Linear later on). I was hoping that the TGXL would just hook up obediently to the LAN network (I do not use Smart-Link) and follow my frequency changes etc. I now understand that I need the TGXL utility. SO,,, I have introduced Windows Parallels to my iMac, downloaded the utility and tried again this afternoon. The download went well, but the utility does not show my TGXL! All the readings for addresses are good as far as I can see. Is it just possible that the ethernet connector on the iMac is not talking to the Utility? Or, am I the dog chasing it’s own tail? I also have opened Windows Parallels and down loaded the FlexRadio SSDR, but have had no further success. I currently have been using the SSDR for Mac software.

I rather think that until a magician comes up with a utility written for Mac OS, that the combination I am attempting is not going to succeed. Has anyone out there got a similar set-up that actually works? I really do not want to go out and buy a Windows Computer!

Incidentally, my TGXL arrived incredibly well packed with wooden crating all round it. Well done! BUT no quick start manual. I down-loaded the instruction manual from the internet.

Thanks again for your advice.

73 Mike G4GWH

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Mike

Here is a link to download the TG User Manual:

If your TG utility, running on parallels Windows, does not "discover" the TG, the userguide gives instructions for entering the TG's IP address manually. You can find the TG IP address on the front panel display of the TG.

Regarding using Mac, Windows via Parallels. If you are running an Intel based Mac, you can easily run Windows Smart SDR. If you are running an M1 based Mac, since Paralles then uses an ARM based Windows OS, Flex Smart SDR will not work. I am guessing the TG and PG utilities will work OK.

Once you get the TG setup, you will no longer need to use the utility. You only need the utility to set up the TCP IP communications and define your TG band/antennas.

I gave up and run an INTEL NUC PC, with windows 10 pro. I enable Microsoft Remote Desktop and using a Microsoft Remote Desktop Client on my Mac, can now easily see and control the Windows 10 machine.

All of the Flex and Mac Smart SDRs use TCP, along with the TG utility, it does not matter which platform they are running on.

If you are interested in using Node-Red, you can install this on your Mac, PC, or Raspberry Pi, and using Dave's, WO2X flows, control the front panel controls of all your devices, from any web browser, including Safari.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Mike Steventon

Hi Alan.

That's great information. Thanks. I have spent enough time on the problem at the moment, so may actually just put the TGXL back in it's box and wait for hopefully someone to come up with a utility for Mac OS. At least it is at home now for me to play with it when the time comes!!

Much obliged for your help!

73 de Mike G4GWH

• Mike Steventon

Just to let anyone interested know, I have installed Windows 10 Pro using BootCamp onto my Apple iMac Pro, and have easily got the 6600M to work top-notch on Windows 10. Using BootCamp Windows, my TGXL STILL does not get recognised by the utility. So I have raised a support ticket with Flex, as it does not make any sense to me why the radio works just fine, but the tuner is not being recognised.

So have not yet given up. It may be that I will just have to use Windows in the future, assuming that the Support Team at Flex can sort it out for me. I really do think that Flex should provide Utility software for the TGXL. I am sure there must be very many people out there who use Mac OS to make it worth-while (and yes, I would be quite prepared to pay for the Utility if necessary!)

Cheers.

Mike G4GWH

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Mike

If your Smart SDR is working on Bootcamp, so should the TG-XL utility.

If you have not tried so, remove power from the TG-XL, wait a few minutes, then restart the TG-XL. This will force your router to assign an IP address to the TG-XL and allow your TG-XL to discover the Tuner.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

Mike you said you are using a "5 port LAN junction".

What is the make and model? If this is just a switch it does not have DHCP and this is your problem. You must have a router with DHCP enabled so it can hand out IP address to devices plugged into the LAN ports.

• Mike Steventon

Hey Guys!

Thanks for replies. I have done what Alan suggested. Negative result. There is, as I noted earlier on, an IP address at the front of the TGXL. It appears every time I have tried to re-boot, etc. etc., but no recognition still.

Mike. It is a netgear gigabit GS105 ethernet switch, or, basically, just a junction box, 5-way “ dumb” modem patch, so no voltage carrier. The 6600M goes thru’ quite happily.

i have even just connected the TGXL directly into the PC using the supplied ethernet cable, with exactly the same negative result. Tried turning off etc, tried the reconfig reset, might even try with a plumbers hammer if all else fails!!!!!

I will keep this discussion alive and will report back IF it starts up eventually. Flex are on it now, so hopefully, the hammer will not be needed.

Quite annoying, really.

73 Mike G4GWH

• Rich M5RIC
    Rich M5RIC Member ✭✭✭

That's your issue Mike, you need a router instead of a switch. The switch does not provide an IP address.

I had the same issue when I bought a Antenna Genius. The flex doesn't require an address so will work fine. You're only other option is to run a cable from your internet router to this switch then it will also work.

Or just purchase a cheap router from amazon.

Rich

• Mike Steventon

I have just had this reply from Flex Help:

……………………..

Thank you for using the HelpDesk. Now let's get started addressing your issue.

Are you connecting via a switch that is not connected to a router with a DHCP Server running?

Currently, the Tuner Genius expects to have a DHCP Server assign it a compatible IP Address in the same subnet as the radio and computer.

An upcoming Firmware/Utility upgrade is expected to allow connection to the TunerGenius without needing a DHCP server to assign an address to it.

Until then:

Can you connect your radio, tuner, and computer to your router, or to a switch that is connected to yur router, reboot everything, then try again? This should allow you to "see" the TGXL.

………………………….

OK Rich. You have a good point. Although I was under the impression that the IP address comes from the DHCP Ethernet connection at the PC. I will try the helpdesk offering tonight and if it works, fine. But I will also get a cheap router from Amazon or similar, that offers DHCP. It makes me wonder how on earth other owners of the TGXL did not get the same problem, or were they very clever and figured it out themselves. Reading between the lines, it may be an admission above, due to up-coming Firmware/Utility………..

I will keep you posted!

Mike.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Oh.....It never occurred to me you were not using a router on your LAN, even if you do not connect the WAN port to the internet.

That explains everything.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Mike Steventon

What an amazing community this is!

Many thanks to all of you for the advice. I am pleased to report that it is all resolved. I raided my internet router (XYL was out for the evening) and used the RJ45 sockets in the back to hook up. Excellent!! TGXL working now as expected, all up and dandy on BootCamp Windows.

I am going shopping tomorrow for guess what.

Anyway, as a final remark, which really does not warrant a reply, I must say that I am very disappointed that the TGXL does not work in conjunction with the 6600M and SSDR for Mac. I do not like the windows SSDR as I find it very clunky in comparison to the slick performance of the SSDR for Mac. Beggars cannot be choosers, as they say. I am actually wondering if the upcoming firmware and Utility that the helpdesk mentioned might actually allow the proper mating of the three items, especially for us poverty-struck-I-can-only-afford-a-Mac customers!!

cheers and beers. Mike. G4GWH

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Mike

A word of caution.

When you use a different router, the new router, will assign a different IP address to the TG-XL.

So....you will need to, again, match the Tuner to the Flex and install your antenna settings. All good, as long as you use the same router.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Mike Steventon

Hi Alan.

Actually, I have just won at eBay auction a BT Smart Hub for £10.50 (about $14), which identical to the one i used from downstairs, so the easy way out is to just swap the two items and swap passwords around!!! Very cunning, I think. If not, I will take note of your point.

73 Mike.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.