Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL Rack mount options

Other than a generic rack shelf, does Flex make a rack mounting option like those for their radios? (6000 series).

I would like to keep the front of the rack looking ........well, more like an equipment rack rather than just a shelf with equipment on it

Jeff
AA0ST

Answers

• G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭

I have a question for Power Genius XL owners who have bought the (somewhat pricy) rack mount kit. 

The question is this: does the rack mount kit need to be attached at the rear of the rack or just using the four screws at the front?

My rack is not as deep as the Power Genius and it will stick out the back by a few inches. If the mount is only attached at the front then I'm OK otherwise, I'll just buy a 4U shelf instead. 

Thanks in advance!

David G4NRT / Z21NRT

• Jeff AA0ST
    Jeff AA0ST Member ✭✭

I have mine attached only from the front. It seems fine. If you are worried you can always put a cross bar at the back of your rack to support the PGXL shelf.

I must admit, I was presently surprised by the quality of this kit. Having looked at the usual rack mount shelves and hardware I normally use, this thing is in a whole other league. Think NASA engineered as compares to a shade tree mechanic. (I suppose every culture in every continent has those right?) It is made from strong aluminum, had great machining for the threads had all the parts needed and it fit together as shown in the directions with no hassles. OH, by the way, there is written instructions on how to assemble it, not just pictures.

NOW, if they would just make one for the TGXL my rack would look soooo much better.

Hope this helped.

Jeff

AA0ST

• G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭

Thanks Jeff! It's all I needed to know!

I'd be happy just to get my Tuner let alone a rack mount for it!!

73, David

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭

Hey, David!

I have just been told my tuner is at the shop, (ML&S). I hope you in the same boat now! Just have to fork out the balance..

73 Mike G4GWH

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

I used a standard rackmount tray and not relying on just the front screws, I added supports attached to the bottom/back of the tray so it will handle all the weight. Could have used wood but I have a bunch of 1 1/4" square tubing, just cut them to size, cheap solution.

• Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭

I do not yet own the amplifier, I bought the rack mount to have my rack set up and ready for the plunge with buying one. I will say it looks good, BUT...

I feel like it is not very strong to hold the heavy weight of the amplifier. There is ONLY 6 total small screws that hold the entire shelf to the face plate, the face plate is what is connected to the rack mount. Seems a little light weight to me.

As FLEX does not make a rack mount for the tuner I went to a third party to get one and I will say IT is heavy duty and seems much much stronger than the flex shelf for the much much heavier amplifier.

I may have to buy a third party rack mount shelf for the amp, I just don't want it breaking and falling when I buy it.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I use a repurposed COMPAQ server cabinet.

I bought four 4 post ventilated shelves sold by Star Tech from Amazon. The equipment sits on the racks with ventilated doors closed. AG is mounted to back edge of one shelf. Plenty of airflow around equipment to keep things cool. I mounted the amp on top shelf since hot air rises and it is the warmest pieces of equipment when operating.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.