Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Ethernet switch

Options
flyham
flyham Member ✭✭

I currently have an Ethernet cable ran from my home router/modem directly to my shack in the backyard into my flex 6400. I am wanting to add an Ethernet switch in the shack to plug my MacBook into for a direct Ethernet connection. Will any Ethernet switch work or do I need something specific?

thank in advance

Best Answer

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

I use a Netgear GS 108 (1 Gb/sec) that I picked up a few years ago. It seems to work well in an RF environment, and has been a solid performer with my Flex 6400. I even take it on the road when I bring my 6400 on camping and fishing trips in my 5th wheel camper.

To more directly answer your question, nothing special is needed. I wouldn't get anything less than a 1 gig switch, however.

Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

One comment - if you run your Ethernet cable outside, and it is not fiber, use STP with correct shielded RJ45 connectors, and make sure it is outdoor rated (i.e. direct burial).

• flyham
    flyham Member ✭✭
    Options

Great, thank you very much. I do have an outdoor direct burial cable that was installed by my internet service provider.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

For my long haul from my boathouse to the main cottage, I use Moca and run RG6. It gives me a 1Gbit connection. You can find them on Amazon and some cable modems have Moca built in.

I chose it over Fiber as it was easier and less expensive to set up.

For me it is a 75M run.

https://www.truecable.com/blogs/cable-academy/moca-vs-ethernet

• flyham
    flyham Member ✭✭
    Options

Very cool, I wasn’t familiar with Moca before but it definitely opens up some possibilities. Thanks Mike!

• Duane  N9DG
    Duane N9DG Member ✭✭
    Options

I had to look up what the MoCA approach actually was and what it costs. I'm just not seeing that significant of an advantage over fiber for cost. And by the time you factor in lightning related risks due to there being a conductive path with COAX, fiber still seems to me to be the better value proposition for long inter-building runs like that.

I did my 65 meter runs with outdoor rated fiber OM1 62.5/125 multi-mode duplex with LC connectors and pulled through an underground conduit. I chose outdoor rated fiber cable but NOT armored cables because I wanted a no metal connection path for lighting risk reasons

Those LC terminated 65 meter fiber cables were only about $125 at the time in 2016. I just checked what the same cable type is today at that same vendor for a 75 meter length, and it is ~$142. The vendor (I have no association) was Fiber Cables Direct.

The fiber media adapters I went with plus the SFPs were about on par with the MoCA media converters cost wise. So basically a wash. Those media converters I used are from TRENDnet.

And if you choose, or lucky enough to have a switch or router with SFP ports already then you only need the SFPs. They are not that expensive in the 1000Base-SX configurations.

I like fiber. In fact I'd like to see SFP ports on the radio itself, it would be helpful to mitigate RFI issues in the shack with the radio. And of course help with lightning risks too.

I'm running a GS 108T here and it has been solid, both with the 6K and with 3 thick client SDRs all running at the same time through that switch. I also have a regular GS 108 for non radio use that has also been rock solid.

• Duane  N9DG
    Duane N9DG Member ✭✭
    Options

When I looked at MoCA cost vs. fiber I just wasn't seeing that much of an advantage from a cost perspective. The media converters for MoCA are about the same cost as you can find fiber media converters for. A 75 meter run out outdoor rated fiber with LC connectors can be found for around $140. Which just isn't that bad.

The key advantage of fiber is that you eliminate a lightning risk path as long as you use an outdoor fiber that is not armored. For me having that lightning risk mitigation is easily worth a couple hundred dollars spending.

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I would not even think about cable.. WIFI is the simplest. You can get small WIFI bridges for about 15$ or the like. They run on 5V so, you can use a car USB Plug and get 5V from 12V for camping.

We have 5Gig brigde with 100Mbit for a 1.2 Mile over the town link to a clubstation running a 6400, an icom 9700 , a kiwisdr and a rtl.-v3 Server all same time with no problems since years.

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Indeed, if you use commercial-grade WiFi equipment (designed for WISPs) you will likely have good luck. Just stay away from consumer grade and that ugly shared WiFi found in most neighborhoods. Good WISP WiFi equipment is point-to-point.

• Duane  N9DG
    Duane N9DG Member ✭✭
    Options

I had to look up what the MoCA approach actually was and what it costs. I'm just not seeing that significant of an advantage over fiber for cost. And by the time you factor in lightning related risks due to there being a conductive path with COAX, fiber still seems to me to be the better value proposition for long inter-building runs like that.

I did my 65 meter runs with outdoor rated fiber OM1 62.5/125 multi-mode duplex with LC connectors and pulled through an underground conduit. I chose outdoor rated fiber cable but NOT armored cables because I wanted a no metal connection path for lighting risk reasons

Those LC terminated 65 meter fiber cables were only about $125 at the time in 2016. I just checked what the same cable type is today at that same vendor for a 75 meter length, and it is ~$142. The vendor (I have no association) was Fiber Cables Direct.

The fiber media adapters I went with plus the SFPs were about on par with the MoCA media converters cost wise. So basically a wash. Those media converters I used are from TRENDnet.

And if you choose, or lucky enough to have a switch or router with SFP ports already then you only need the SFPs. They are not that expensive in the 1000Base-SX configurations.

I like fiber. In fact I'd like to see SFP ports on the radio itself, it would be helpful to mitigate RFI issues in the shack with the radio. And of course help with lightning risks too.

I'm running a GS 108T here and it has been solid, both with the 6K and with 3 thick client SDRs all running at the same time through that switch. I also have a regular GS 108 for non radio use that has also been rock solid.

• Duane  N9DG
    Duane N9DG Member ✭✭
    Options

• Duane  N9DG
    Duane N9DG Member ✭✭
    Options

Sorry. Didn't intend to spam the topic, but the postings had gone missing for a period of time.. 😐️

• flyham
    flyham Member ✭✭
    Options

No worries! 😆

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.