Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Firmware Upgrade for 6500

Options
Steve Belcak
Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
edited January 2022 in SmartSDR for Mac

Current firmware on my 6500 is 1.12.1.35.....if I wanted to upgrade is there any reason NOT to jump to 3.2.39. Can't seem to find a webpage that talks about all the releases and differences. Also can't find a price for an upgrade. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Steve

You are going to need a windows PC to upgrade past V1 on your 6500. Sorry, there is no way around it.

• On a PC install version 3 of SmartSDR (or V2, it doesn't matter, but V3 makes sense)
    • Follow the video I quoted above through the process of installing V3 on the PC
    • The PC will connect to the radio. Make sure the Radio is on a LAN connection and not hardwired to your PC.
    • As part of the process, you will be asked to pay for V3 (which includes v2 for free). A credit card is required
    • Once the payment is complete, the Radio will be told this automatically thanks to its internet connection.
    • The radio will forever remember that you have upgraded it to Version 3 (called Max Version)

Now, you should be good to go with SmartSDR for Mac which requires at a minimum SmartSDR/Radio version of v2.4.10.

Answers

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Steve,

Go to https://www.flexradio.com/ In the menu bar at the top, click "Support". In the menu that drops down, near the right side is a box "Visit the Support Center"; under that is another box "All Software Downloads". Click that and you will get a menu of downloads. One of the choices is release notes; others are for all the documentation (user manuals) and the software itself. I believe the fee for a major version upgrade is still $199.

73, Craig KØCF

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Steve, that is a lot of release notes to go through... I don't know of a document that concentrates them all.

As Craig mentioned, an upgrade is $200 or so, and will give you access to all current versions (2.4.10, 2.7.6, 3.2.39).

Version 2 or 3 will be like having a new radio compared to version 1. One key example is remote operation using SmartLink. Version 3 gives you MultiFlex.

Perhaps the major reason to move up is all the bug fixes and improvements that have taken place since version 1.

• Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    Options

OK guys..thanks for the help but I can't find the 6500 firmware upgrade page.

Looking for Firmware, install document, cost and method of payment

It's probably staring me in the face.....

Can someone send the url

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Hi Steve

You can start with this page

It is the same software for all radios.

Mike

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Steve,

Installing the v3 software will upgrade the firmware in the radio. There is no separate firmware download.

73, Craig KØCF

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I should have mentioned that paying for the software to activate it is part of the installation process. You may freely download the software, but it must be activated for a major version upgrade (v1.x to v3.x, etc).

73, Craig KØCF

• Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    Options

OK bought and installed the latest version of Smart SDR for Mac. Installed it into a Mac Mini, fired it up and all seemed to work (Firmware Ver 1). Now I found out some of the features in SSDR for mac won't work unless the radio has at least version 2.5 firmware. Tried using the firmware upgrade feature in SSDR mac but no success. How do u upgrade radio firmware using SSDR for Mac?

Thanks

• Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    Options

I've done a new install of SSDR for Mac on an M1 mac mini. All works well, SSDR for mac recognized my radio running Firmware Version 1.12.1. I want to upgrade to version 3.2.39.3374 on the radio so went to radio, settings, firmware update, d/l'd this new version, did the install and no success. I have to go back and install version 1.12 and radio works fine. I'm thinking the issue is in the upgrade process it doesn't ask for payment for the license to 3.2. I paid for the SSDR for Mac software when gotten from the Apple store as directed. The replies I've gotten all focus on a windows update.

Thanks

Steve

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

Steve

What do you mean by no success other than it didn't work. Can you share screen shots of it 'not working' please.

Also, your Radio must be connected to the internet (aka, a router or switch) and the ethernet cable from the radio not connected to the PC.

This video might help you out.

• Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Mike....to start please understand I am using a new Mac Mini M1 with the latest version of SSDR for Mac (by Marcus) so windows videos don't help. Here is my process.....

1) I installed SSDR for Mac

2) SSDR for Mac allowed me to connect and recognized my flex 6500 firmware as version 1.12.1.35.

2A) all seems to be working well except for scroll wheel on mouse not working

3) on SSDR for Mac, I went to Radio - Flex 6500 settings - Radio - check for firmware update and a list of all the updates was presented

4) I chose 3.2.39.33.74, (the latest) downloaded and installed. I got a popup saying the firmware was successfully installed.

5) I restart the flex 6500, restart SSDR for MAC and a slice opens on 20 meters, no audio, and lots of ? in the radio control panel (especially freq related settings).

6) recovery is to go back to updates and reinstall ver 1.12.1.35 and all works well.....My only issue at this point is the scroll wheel on the mouse doesn't adjust freq. ( problem for another time.)

7) my opinion is Flex is not getting paid for the software upgrade so it's not letting SSDR for Mac talk to my 6500 radio properly

Thanks for your help

Steve

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Really Marcus the author needs to be the one that know about this and a direct Email to him may do the trick.

If you haven't paid FLEX for the Radio firmware license, $200.00 then the radio can not run a higher Firmware version then what is on it no mater what you pay for the Mac software or IOS software.

• Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    Options

I agree so how do you do you pay flex.....the SSDR for mac doesn't let you do it.

Thanks

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would contact sells at +1 (512) 535-4713 (option #1)

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

@Steve Belcak

The only way to upgrade your radio from version 1 to the current v3 (or V2) is with a Windows PC.

It can't be done on a MAC at this time.

• Opusofid
    Opusofid Member ✭✭
    Options
    Quick question. If i need a windows machine to update the firmware do i need to buy the ssdr software again? Once for mac once for windows?
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

No. The software is licensed to the radio, not the computer.

73, Craig KØCF

• Johan SE3X
    Johan SE3X Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Options

But remenber your MAC software needs to be bought from Marcus and is separated from Flex software SSDR for Windows by Flexradio.