Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Internet speed

Options

Hi all

I have not read about the minimum internet speed required for SmartSDR remote operation.

It was mentionned somewhere "you need a good internet connection" : what is "a good connection" ? My speed here is about 500 Mbs up and down. 'average)

Thanks + 73

Paul F6EXV

Answers

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I do very well with 60 up and 8 down.

• Johan SE3X
    Johan SE3X Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Mobile 4G, 50 up, 20 down, 25 msek. I do well with that. Use Speed test to check your connection for it's quality https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

• Paul F6EXV
    Paul F6EXV Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks !

Paul F6EXV

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭
    Options

75 down and 18 up here. Rock solid and steady. You will be better than fine!!

73’s Mike.

• Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Paul,

I have successfully used SmartSDR through SmartLink, down to 800K , you should slow the display rate down as slow as you can (I set frame rate at 7 ) no waterfall and moved the panadapter below the bottom of the display so that no video was refreshed and selected "Low Connection" speed in the IOS versions . In Windows, you can monitor your Internet usage through the Task Manager...

Dudley, WA5QPZ

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I’ve operated SmartLink remote from **** 4G cell coverage with about 3 MB down and 512k up. You might need to slow down waterfall and panadapter refresh but it works.

SmartLink uses a compressed audio CODEC, requiring less bandwidth vs LAN or VPN connection.

Dave wo2x

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Following on to what Dave said, this will give you an idea.

FPS and RATE control how much data is being sent from the radio to the client.

Now, looking the the firewall on the radio end (this is why I always have a PC running at the remote end and I use Anydesk to access it). I also do not run DAX and CAT via SmartLink.

You can see the upstream (outbound from the radio) is about 600k Bits/second.

When I reduce the RATE and FPS to the extreme left, we see a big reduction:

• Paul F6EXV
    Paul F6EXV Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks all for your replies.

The remote does not use the Maestro, but SmartSDR installed on his laptop computer (at this point, he only does CW). When he operates my radio, I have to have SmartSDR NOT running. We both use PSTRotatorAz from YO3DMU (no hardware needed) : works great to control the antenna rotator (a Pro.Sys.tel) and the Ultrabeam.

The question was for someone else, who has a relatively slow connection, but accoring to the info reveiuved above, that should be more than enough.

Thanks again, + 73

Paul F6EXV

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Both the Maestro and SmartSDR behave the same way when using SmartLink.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.