Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Antenna Genius High SWR Arcing?

Options
K1ESE
K1ESE Member ✭✭✭

Does the Antenna Genius arc or have other issues when used with feedlines with high SWR and voltage? I run high power.

I have three non-resonant doublets fed with open wire feeders into the shack to baluns and then by coax to the antenna tuner. They often have high SWR before they get to the tuner.

With some high SWR situations, there is very high voltage that can do damage. I have had that happen. I can be running 1,200 watts CW.

My question is not on the quality of my antenna system. It is what it is. I am asking if an Antenna Genius can handle the task.

K1ESE

Best Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

What you are asking is something that is normally tested in a controlled lab environment just to see what the limitations are.

What I can say, is that it isn't the way I would do it is not designed for balanced feeders. When you design a path for RF to follow, there are rules (math/physics) that you need to follow. And, while it doesn't say it on the 403A.com website, it is implied that feedlines and loads should be near 50 ohms.

To get the answer you really want, you will need to reach out to 4O3A. They have a support email address on their web site.

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have replaced some "highly arc damaged" relays in the AG which prevented selecting 80M from one radio. How they were damaged is unknown but the antenna was known to present high SWR, and running 1.5KW. Repair is very difficult with thin circuit board traces and the 8 small pins on each relay.

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

You should ask 403A as they have their own support email alias. You can find it on their website.

However, I would suspect that if you are not presenting a 50 ohm load to the AG, then results are unpredictable. It is no different than your actual radio.

Your matching transformers should be at the end of the open wire balanced feeders so that you present some closer to what the AG was designed for.

Others may wish to comment as well.

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I think I hear you saying, "probably not".

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    Options

It's unanimous. I will go to 4O3A.

Thanks!

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

“Results are unpredictable”, IBMs favorite warning.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.