Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What is the Operating Temperature Range for the Flex-6400?

Hi all, I am planning to locate a new FL-6400 in my garage. I am located in San Jose, CA - houses where I am located are small and on small city lots so placing the Flex-6400 in the garage can solve many problems - it will be close to the antenna and is out of the house (key for my spouse). Temperatures in the garage fluctuate throughout the year between +40F to +107F. I have seen mention of a operations range or +32F to +137F in another Community post, but can't find any official specifications. Does anyone know?
Tagged:

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Broomfield, COMember, Super Elmer Moderator

From the Flex-6400 and Flex 6600 Hardware Reference Manual page 13:

Operating Temperature Range 0 to +50C, +32 to +122F

I think you will be more than fine with the rig in your garage.

• snacey0103
    snacey0103 Member ✭✭
    Many thanks Len. Being a newbie, I tend to ask lots of "simple" questions. Once I have the Flex-6400 and begin to install and use it, I'll do better. :) -- Scott, W1MVY
  • KD0RC

Never a problem to ask here!

• Craig Gagner
    Craig Gagner Member ✭✭

Hi there,

I do something similarly, running a flex 6300 from an unconditioned space. I'm in the Pacific Northwest so my conditions are different than yours. My only caution is that the space temperature not drop below the dewpoint temperature. That could cause a condensing issue. I have to watch that here in my neck of the woods.

Best,

Craig w7phg

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

I can 100% confirm that my radio has had no issue on the low side.

Just this week, the radio saw -15C and worked without issue.

• snacey0103
    snacey0103 Member ✭✭

Thanks for all the comments.

I just got my Flex-6400 on the air yesterday from my garage with a temporary Buddipole in my front yard - even with that tiny antenna I notice a tremendous difference from my old Yaesu.

I'm pleased to hear that the rigs can stand some interesting temperature swings. @Craig, I note your dewpoint comment, that is not really an issue here in San Jose - certainly not like what you see up north! @Mike, brrr - we don't see that much of a low either.

All I need to do now is get my permanent antenna up in the coming week and see what the Flex-6400 can do!

• KD0RC

Congratulations Scott, I think you will really enjoy the radio!

• Hal Massey
    Hal Massey Member ✭✭

Hello San Jose, CA. ---- 27 years in Sunnyvale CA before moving to Northern Colorado. You will be fine. Your Flex can tell you what the PA Temp is via a LAN or WAN connection...Just don't put it up in the rafters where it gets really warm on some summer days...

Regards

Hal / WB6NNR

• snacey0103
    snacey0103 Member ✭✭

Thanks Hal, The radio is installed on a garage counter top so it will hopefully be good.

73, Scott W1MVY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.