Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Getting MEFFA to work with CW

Guys,

I have been reading chapter 5 of the PGXL manual. It says to set the amplifier to MEFFA and hit tune and adjust power to get the output power that you want. Well, when I hit the Tune Button I only get 10 watts out. And from what I can see, there is no way to adjust the tune output any higher. It say to put the radio in Tune. OK, so I must not understand the Tune Function. To me Tune is hitting the Tune Button. To me, it's better to have the MEFFA function off and I can adjust the input power to the amplifier to get full power output. I wish that someone would do a video that would show the average person how to get MEFFA to work. The Manual is great for having instructions, but there is no step by step help or pictures to show someone how to get this to work. I like my amplifier. But the MEFFA function to me, is worthless.

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Comments

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭

The Tune Button Power Level is adjustable with the slider under the RF Power slider.

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

Larry,

Thanks for the picture. So I would have to use SmartSDR to do this? I have the 6400M and didn't know whether there was a way to do this in the menu selections.

Mark KB3Z

• Mark,

No you do not need SmartSDR. You can do it from the front on you M also. Setting is under the TX MENU. You access it by pressing the MIC/SPEED knob just above the B-VFO.

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

Thanks Adde!

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

Ok,

I increased the tune using MEFFA and increased my output to 1,440 watts. And that was in CW Mode. But I do notice that when I use my paddle, the power output is about 670 watts. Is this normal? It seems that if I don't use the MEFFA and have my input at 43 or 44 watts, that I get about 1,440 watts output even when using my CW Paddle.

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭

Tune is a CW tone for tuning, if your rf power slider is set the same as the tune slider and you have done the MEFFA mutiple key up process with tune to get you amp power output adjusted where you want then it, should be the same with your paddle. You can just as easily use your paddle to adjust your drive for the amp output you want.

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

I have been asked by Tech Support for the IDD #'s.

Yet, there is no IDD on my PGXL front screen, or on the PGXL App.

I am running Version 3.6.23

Am I missing something?

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭

All I can think of is VDD voltage.

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

Larry,

I mentioned to Tech Support that I did not show IDD. He didn't make any further comments about that. It is mentioned in the PGXL Manual. And the manual may not be up to date, and perhaps the Firmware version plays a factor in that.

Thanks!

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

VDD = DC voltage for LDMOS

ID is the DC current and is read on the bar graph.

Note - I have found the PG XL metering can be a little “sluggish” and it is best to use a good quality peak reading wattmeter such as the meters from Telepost or Power Master 2 and such.

Dave wo2x

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

Dave,

My wattmeter is the LP-100A. I haven't updated the firmware in a while, but it has been very reliable.

Mark

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.