Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Misunderstanding or misinterpretation „Auto tuning“ feature.

My set-up is 6600>PA>TGXL>extra SWR meter>Antenna

When I tune ( push the Windows utility button or hardware button) on any part of a band (80, 40 or 20m) it tunes OK within a couple seconds ( lets say 3)

My understanding is the achieved L/C values for a proper match is stored in a memory. When I repeat the same action (push the tune button again) I assume the default values of L/C are taken from that memory resulting in a shorter tuning time action. However it takes exactly the same tuning time (3 sec) so what is the advantage of storing the L/C values?

How many storage places are available per band anyway?

Other question is if the preliminary user guide is the last one?

Some clarifying comments would be appreciated.

Chris, DJ2NL

Comments

• NA5RF
    NA5RF Member ✭✭

Chris,

If your Tuner Genius XL is on the same LAN as your 6600, you don't need to retune if you previously tuned to that frequency segment. The tuner already knows the new tuning solution. The 6600 tells the tuner the band, frequency, and or antenna. I believe there are 10 memories for each band and each antenna.

I had been running a Palstar HF Auto. The new Tuner Genius is smaller and so much faster since it can retune using relays instead of a roller inductor. So even if the Palstar memorized the new frequency and band change, it could still take 20 seconds to retune to a different band. Although the Palstar is a great tuner, the roller inductor is a complex mechanical device compared to an off off mechanical relay. I melted it accidently one time and had to send it back to Palstar for a fix! I'm sure there will be a new version of the user manual in the future.

Bob NA5RF

• Bob,

thanks for your response. So it means that if you consumed all (10) storage places on one part of the band , the tuner does not perform anymore 100% on the other part of the band which was not used yet. So maybe better to first reset the system and then run a complete scan on the entire band and tune every 25 Khz in order to divide all storage places equaly over the band. Now I recal this idea having read somewhere on the forum and sounds to be a pretty good idea. Also to describe this basic principal extensively in the (final) user guide.

Chris, DJ2NL

• NA5RF
    NA5RF Member ✭✭

Chris,

I think the 10 memories are the most recent. So the last 10 places you tuned up will be automatically selected and if you tune up on the 11th, it would erase the oldest. It does have a range of at least 25 khz I believe for each memory. You can tell on the app that where the 3 Pi network dials go back to zero is a place that has no tuning memorized.

Now I hope that the guys at Flex and 4o3A rethink the 10 memory design. For those of us that have only one or two antennas, all the other memories are going to waste. But I have found no problem with the 10 memory limit so far. Overall it's a great tuner.

Bob NA5RF

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Chris, Bob is correct it does not mean the tuner is not performing 100% it just means once the 10 memories are filled then the OLDEST memory is overwritten when you do the 11th tune cycle for that band and Antenna you still end up with 10 Memories.

Read Dave WO2X's explanation on this subject here

73's and hope this helps

• If that is true, all is clear to me.

what remains for FRS is updating the user guide asap.

thanks again

chris

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.