Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What governs the Sideband for a selected band

Options

Hi everyone. I posted a similar question a week or so ago and Dave, wo2x gave an interesting reply based on transmit profiles which I thought solved the issue but I was wrong. I studied the manual a little and learned that which sideband is used is not stored in the transmit profile, I can't seem to figure out what governs which sideband (USB or LSB) is selected as you change bands in the same slice. Can someone please explain this to me? It should be obvious but it's not to me. Once I understand the concept, I'm sure it will be. Hi hi. Thanks.

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Save the TX profile and verify correct mic profile, set your receive parameters then save the global profile. Go to next band again set receive and mode and save same global profile. It will add info for that band. Repeat for each band.

I have one global profile that sets LSB for 80 & 40 and USB for 20 and higher. I then have one global profile for CW and one for digital.

Dave wo2x

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

A free download, FRstack, greatly simplifies the management of this.

• K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi John. Thanks for the reply. I use FRStacks and have been for years. I use it mostly to set the TX slice to the current slice and mute all other slices as well as the MRU band stacking. Can you please explain how it can help with the current question? Thanks.

• K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Dave. Thanks again for the reply. At this point, I am trying to understand how the software is designed in the respect rather than a recipe. I am aware the global profiles store the band and mode for each slice that is active when the profile is saved. An example of my use case would be: I have a global profile saved with 2 slices, say 20, and 15m. Obviously, both the slices are set to USB. Now let's say I want to change the 20m slice to 80 m. It will maintain the USB mode. If I change the mode to LSB and then switch that slice back to 20m, it retains the LSB mode. Is this the normal behavior? This is obviously not a show stopper but has become much more of an issue lately as I have been doing more remote operation with a laptop where I don't necessarily want multiple slices displayed and am changing the band on the single slice more often. Again, thanks for you help.

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I think you will find that there are “Hard Wired” rules in memory that reflects the Rules of ham radio operation, such as usable frequency bands and your upper or lower side band assignments per band. Other config assignments such as transmit inhibit based on National or regional authority communications laws. I do not have a list, but if you can’t change an item it is most likely in this list. In fact most radios have these rules built in. Even some consumer items like TV’s and AM and FM radios.

• K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Patrick. Thanks for your comment. In fact, there are NOT hard wired rules when it comes to which sideband is used on which bands. If there were, I wouldn't be having this problem. 73 and Happy New Year.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

So, I use stacks exclusively for band/mode selection, rather than profile, because of the way flex auto updates profiles. But I tried your scenario, changing bands using band selector on the left side panel. It sets the correct sideband. If I key a 20m frequency while on 40m the correct sideband is set. However, if I override the usb on 20 to lab, go to 40 then back to 20, lsb is set by the persistence database.

So maybe the persistence db in the radio is corrupted?

In stacks I have a memory for 20m ssb, 20m cw, 20m digi. I also have memories on 40 same as 20 but also for wide cw, narrow cw, ragchew ssb, dx ssb, etc. so with one mouse click, all parameters are set for the situation.

As an aside, lsb is legal on 20, but nobody does it because usb is the convention. This may not help much, but I feel better having said it <bg>.

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, you are correct… but there are hard wired rules. My mistake. Have a Happy New Year.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

The question of the day is - how are you changing bands? Some software will not send the correct command to the Flex. Amateur Contact log had that issue when clicking on a cluster spot but has been fixed in newer versions.

Using the procedure I outlined to set up a SSB profile I do not have issues on wrong band when changing bands by using the band buttons in SmartSDR or front of radio & Maestro (when you tap on the frequency to bring up the menu).

Please outline exactly how to replicate the problem and what version of software the radio is using. My tests were done with current 3.2.39

Dave wo2x

• K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Dave and others. After careful, organized testing, with many factory resets, I have determined that the problem is being caused by Slicemaster. I use Slicemaster for a very important program that I wrote that enables my to set up a log entry window by clicking a spot on the panadpter, much like FRLogger does. I use HRD log but my program can be configured to send log entries to any logger. One of these days. I'll document it and make it available for the community. At first I thought that Slicemaster was overwriting the Persistence DB in the radio. However, further testing revealed that closing Slicemaster restored the radio to it's proper function. I have written to Don, K1BDO, the author of Slicemaster explaining my issue. Don has been very responsive in the past and I'm sure he'll help me figure out what's happening. It could just be the way Slicemaster is configured.

I want to thank all those members who responded with suggestions to my issue. Happy New Year

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.