Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

radio beeps every time the VHF radio transmissions

Options

I have a flex 6500 in a rack with various other HF radios for example 2 CODAN Envoys, and 2 Motorola VHF radios. Each time the VHF radios transmit, the flex beeps but shows no error codes on the screen. They are all very well grounded and I have placed type 31 ferrite beads on all of the RF connections and power and data lines. The error continues, could there be a hardware issue in the flex as I would really like to keep it operational in the environment but it seems to be the only radio having a rejection issue.

Rodney Warner

Region 6 Director, U.S. Army Mars

512 – 496 – 4301

Comments

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Try the ferrite on the VHF lines too.

Bill W9JJB

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Rodney. It is unlikely to be a hardware problem with the radio. More likely is RF getting in some other way.

I would start with the speakers. Do you have powered speakers plugged into the back of the radio? If so, unplug them and listen to audio using PC audio. If the beeping goes away, then you can try ferrites on the speaker signal lines and power leads.

If that is not it, start disconnecting things (keys, mics, headphones, etc) to see if you can find the line where the RF is getting in. I would even disconnect any HF antennas in case there is some common mode interference or plain old signal overload coming in that way.

You might also want to try some mix 43 ferrites to stop VHF. Mix 31 is more for HF. Even though your issue is happening to an HF radio, it sounds like it is triggered by VHF signals.

Let us know how it goes. There are probably many more things to try that I am not thinking of at this point.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would also suggest the power leads, esp if common to multiple radios

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I can't think of a single thing that causes a Beep. Are you sure it is coming from the Flex radio? Does it happen if the radio is off?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.