Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to maintain proper sideband per band

Hi. I feel pretty **** asking this question but I have an excuse. I have been loving my 6500 for 3 years. Run the latest 3.x SSDR for Windows and am normally the go to person in my group for SSDR and other software related issues. I normally operate with 3 open slices on my 46" TCL monitor. I have about 20 global profiles each consisting of 3 bands that I want to monitor/operate. I save 1 slice for spilt, etc. Of course the profiles store the mode for each band which is typically USB or LSB but can also be CW or Digi. This is my excuse as to why I haven't run up against this issue before.

Recently, I have been operating remotely on a laptop with limited screen real estate so I have been doing more band changing on an existing profile. I am getting what to me are unexpected results with respect to the mode. To simplify things for testing, I am only running SSDR and SmartCat and 1 profile. I am NOT running other software that I usually do like FRStacks, Slicemaster, logging, etc.

What is happening is that when I change bands using the band buttons from the left menu I get an unpredictable (at least to me) mode. For example, if I was on 20m in USB and select 40m, It might stay in USB but if I select 80m it might change to LSB. or not! So I thought maybe the band stack is storing the last mode per band but this isn't happening either. It almost seem random to me but I'm sure this is not the case. Thinking that maybe FRStacks would help, I started it up (I normally have it open anyway) but it behaves the same. I seem to have a fundamental lack of understanding about how this functionality is programmed and how it's supposed to work. Can someone smarter than I am help me out? Thanks much

Best Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Here’s something to try.

For SSB profiles, I have two. SSB DX and SSB Normal.

Take one of your SSB profiles. Start at lowest band and make sure your proper TX profile is selected. Select proper mode. Go into Transmit profiles and highlight the name of the transmit profile you use by single clicking it. Then click create. It will overwrite the transmit parameters for that band in the profile. Now select Global profile and highlight the global profile name by single clicking it and click Save. This adds the transmit and mic profile to the global profile for that band.

Now go up one band and repeat.

Repeat for remaining bands.

The “trick” is to adjust and save the transmit profile on whatever band you are on by highlighting the tx profile name then clicking Create. Then adjust receive parameters for the band and highlight the global profile and click Save. Each time you do this on another band, it adds that band’s info to the profiles.

I find I can use 4 global profiles total.

Dave wo2x

• K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Dave, Thanks for the quick response which of course worked. I had never paid much attention to transmit profiles as I noticed that whenever I created a new Global profile, the system added a Transmit profile on it's own. I now see the error of my ways. So I created an SSB Normal Transmit profile and set each mode per band and saved as you described. So now, as I understand it, as long as I use that transmit profile with whatever Global profile I select, all will be good. At least that what my limited testing has shown so far. I'm sure a more careful study of the manual on Transmit profiles would have been educational and I will do it, but frankly, I didn't suspect that's what was happening. Thanks again.

While I have you, Hi hi, I wanted to express my thanks to all the work you have done for the community with Node-Red. I discovered NR several years ago and it instantly became my go-to product for all thing iot. You have taken it to a new level for the Flex community. Keep up the great work.

K2KXK

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x

Thanks! I’ve had a lot of help with others contributing in the Node Red for Ham Radio groups.io site.

And special thanks to Andreas JUNGE, N6NU and Mike Walker, VA3MW for leading me down that road.

Dave wo2x

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Some hams have inquired about using the flex for portable ops, but it is not well suited for that because of the high power consumption.

• David Decoons, wo2x

depends on power out and what you use for power source.

We’ve done portable operation using generators and also deep cycle marine batteries.

If you are looking for something to run off a 12 volt 7 amp gel cell then you need a QRZ radio, otherwise it will be a very short day.

• David Decoons, wo2x

Oh, and I’ve regularly ran “portable” ops by bringing my Maestro or iPad to the park and remoting back to the home station. I did not sign /p but /remote.

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭

I periodically put my 6300 in my car, plugged into the DC outlet. With the laptop up front connected by a CAT5 cable and an appropriate hamstick antenna, I have tracked down sources of interference around my neighborhood. The broad spectrum and waterfall views have identified solar power inverters, grow lights and arcing power line insulators. No need to "tune the band" with a VFO to find a noise source watching an S-meter and listening to speaker noise.

Bill, NE1B

• David Decoons, wo2x

Hi Bill,

I have some commercial greenhouses a little over 1/2 mile away. One grows **** and may get licensed for marijuana. I can just imagine if they start using grow lights.

As it is I have one house three houses away with solar panels I can see the noise from the inverters when the Yagi is pointed towards it. The noise is relatively low in level but some days it is pretty strong. Haven’t approached the homeowner yet to ask what company did the install.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.