Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400M and WSJT-X

Options
WØYVA
WØYVA Member ✭✭
edited July 2023 in Third-Party Software

I have noticed when operating FT8 the output power fluctuates a bit (~45-52w). You can also see this on the display (when transmitting) which 'jumps' up and down. Normal? Something misadjusted?

It doesn't seem right but I'm making plenty of FT8 QSO's.

Best Answer

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

FT8 uses GFSK modulation which shapes the pulses and so there will be 'spaces' within the 15 second transmission which then translates to a small fluctuation in power. It is when you do not see that, something is maladjusted for example when over driving. The author of JTDX published a full explanation and there might be some similar document for WSJTx.

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

It isn't the RF that fluctuates, it is the audio being sent to the radio that fluctuates.

• WØYVA
    WØYVA Member ✭✭
    Options

Yep, I understand that. What is curious to me is that some of time the change in RF is quite minimal - I expected that but, every so often, the change is quite large. Doesn't seem to bother anything however ...

Thanks for your comment. 73

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Try increasing the TX audio bandwidth in the Radio pane in SmartSDR. I run 100 hz on low side and 3,900 on high end. For digiu.

Bill W9JJB

• WØYVA
    WØYVA Member ✭✭
    Options

I will give that a try - thanks! 73

• scotthibbs
    scotthibbs Member
    Options
    I noticed my forward power bouncing during FT8 transmissions. Read online that this is a result of the tx audio cutting hi and low. Turns out I had my TX EQ on. Turned this off and Forward power is steady.

FWIW, when WSJT-X transmits the radio and you see no signal forward turn your DAX TX Stream off and on again. My working theory is that Windoze turns this service off or suspends it. I think it helps if I leave it active on the desktop.
    73-KD4SIR
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

This is interesting since the EQ software is fully bypassed when in DIGU or DIGL. So, that should not be part of the solution.

If you can recreate that (I can't) can you open a support ticket please.

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Mike Walker

The issue is not equalization, that is not in the DAX path. It is the transmitter bandwidth, that is not the same as the audio equalization. This is the Low Cut and High Cut TX Filter in the Rig Control - Window in the Phone applet.

To solve that problem for me, beside the low and high settings that are a small part, I use the WSJT Fake It in the Settings - Radio - Split Operation option.

This shifts the carrier and audio to the center of the band pass. Solid Power output. This is important for FT8 F/H because when the software moves you down to the closer to the band edge on the DX, you want the solid power out.

With the TX in DIGU the drive is not flat below 500 hz and you see the power jump around around with the frequency shift keying.

As an aside, on 60 m digital the High Cut has to be below 3,000 to allow transmission and Fake it can not be used because it could allow you to TX out of band.

Bill

W9JJB

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Because of the GFSK modulation, those power fluctuations can occur if the user inadvertently has set Mode = None in the FT8 software and USB as the mode SmartSDR. Yes, turning EQ off will solve it if this is the case, not saying it is, but better is to use DIGU mode in SSDR.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.