Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartLink failure with Suddenlink

Recently, I have not been able to make SmartLink work with either my PC or Maestro at home or remote. I am using the same router as before, an Asus RT-AC1750. It appears that the Port Forwarding works as the port numbers are entered into the router's page. However, it tests bad on SmartSDR. When remote as I am now on a Windows 10 laptop, the radio appears on the sign-in window but does not connect (fails and locks). I have tried to get into my Altice cable modem, which is new and may be part of the problem. That is currently blocked. I'm running SmartSDR 3.2.39. I'd sure like to see this work. thanks and 73, Bruce K6ZB

Best Answer

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi Bruce,

Look at the WAN IP address in your Asus router. If it is a 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, or 172.16.x.x then your ISP is doing commercial grade NAT, meaning they are doing one public IP to many customers. You can also check www.what’s yip.org and compare to your router’s WAN IP. If it is different then they are doing NAT.

Two ways to try and get it fixed.

First, see if they will assign you a public IP. Then you should be able to manage any port forwarding.

Second, ask them to do the port forwarding to your IP of the network side of the ports you opened.

You can open a Help Desk ticket with Flex but since the staff is busy these suggestions may get you going quicker.

Dave wo2x

Answers

• Bruce Elbert
    Bruce Elbert Member ✭✭

Hi Dave, thank you for clear recommendations. I'll give that one a go. 73, Bruce K6ZB

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Thanks John.

Crappy spell check. :-/

Dave wo2x

• Bruce Elbert
    Bruce Elbert Member ✭✭

Thank you gents. I had until I got home to try this out. Hopefully, there will be joy because otherwise, I have not need for a Flex. 73, Bruce K6ZB

• Bruce Elbert
    Bruce Elbert Member ✭✭

Dave, I just got around to testing this. According to Whatsmyip, my external IP address is currently 47.221.146.70. How do I use that to accomplish port forwarding? Thanks. Bruce K6ZB

• Bruce Elbert
    Bruce Elbert Member ✭✭

I'm in need of help getting SmartLink working. Still testing red. I've gotten into the SuddenLink modem by way of their website. The first pic is the configuration i created for Port Forwarding. The next pic is the Asus router config I did for Port Forwarding. And lastly is the config page from Smart SDR SmartLink. Can someone please review these and tell me where I'm going wrong? Hopefully, it's simple cockpit errors. Thanks and 73, Bruce K6ZB

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Not familiar with those products, but is portforwarding turned on, or does that switch refer to auto port forwarding?

• Bruce Elbert
    Bruce Elbert Member ✭✭

Hi John, thanks for answering. I tried it both ways and still no result.

I would appreciate any other thoughts. Perhaps this is suitable for a trouble ticket. 73, Bruce K6ZB

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Bruce, Yes, I would submit a helpdesk ticket.

• Bruce Elbert
    Bruce Elbert Member ✭✭

Len, I've created the ticket. Thanks. Bruce K6ZB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.