Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Mitigating noise from neighbor's solar panel system

2»

Answers

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

If it is a physical noise in the upper hearing range, 10k to 20k, it pretty much has to be from a switching power supply, probably resonant with some mounting device. Maybe a sound level meter would help locate it, or an ultra sonic receiver intended for power line noise. It’s really strange it started with the wiring change. Maybe check connectors involved in the change.

• ExpressNV
    ExpressNV Member ✭✭
    @WX&Y, If i can get my hands on those devices what should I be looking for? What would I know are the norms?

Thank you so much for your help!
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

I went back and looked and my spell check misspelled the FLIR camera name, sorry.

The Mechanicals stethoscope and the FLIR camera are available on Amazon they have ton's of them depending on what you want, I tried to attach the Amazon link but the FLEX site won't allow it so just do a search on Amazon for them.

The Cameras are available for a IPhone or a Android smartphone JUST make sure you select the correct one, or you can get a stand alone that doesn't need a smartphone.

• ExpressNV
    ExpressNV Member ✭✭
    @John KB4DU I did a youtube search and the sound seems to be the same as in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNf9nzvnd1k fast forward to 2:14 (its about 12915khz) I can't recorded the sound. Definitely started after the work was done in October.
    @ WX7Y think I can rent those at a tool rental place?
  • ExpressNV
    ExpressNV Member ✭✭
    @WX7Y I am going to look at ordering FLIR One Pro LT iOS Pro-Grade Thermal Camera for Smartphones, let me know if that is good. Then the Mechanicals stethoscope not sure which one to order?

Hate to ask but what am I looking for when I use these products? Am I using them on the microinverters? I just need to know so I can then let my installer know what are my findings.

Thank you again for your help
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

A good way to find a noisy component is to use a cardboard tube like one from a roll of paper towels. You should be able to isolate the box making the noise just by listening through the tube, with one end of the tube right next to the equipment in question.

The FLIR is a great tool, but is really for finding a failing (i.e. HOT) part. I would start with a simple search for the offending equipment using a tube to locate it. That should give you enough info to talk with the installers about.

• ExpressNV
    ExpressNV Member ✭✭
    @KD0RC cardboard tube to each microinverter? I have 60 of them many I can't reach because they are on a solar array system I have 4 rows of 15 panels. :/ So you think it can be the microinverters making that noise from the array to the house?
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

No idea what is making the noise. Just a suggestion to find the exact piece of gear that is responsible. You get to where you can hear the noise reasonably well, then listen to the equipment that you are near.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes use them on each MicroInverter, a cardboard tube would work fin for listening for a louder Squeal then the other inverters.

With the FLIR look at EACH Microinverter as well and any other components in the circuit, the FLIR will show bright color from blue being cooler to red to orange then yellow to I think white for the different temperatures and if you have the Temperature reading enabled of them, the FLIR will show any HOT spots with the inverters drawing more current that may be possibly being out of phase.

• ExpressNV
    ExpressNV Member ✭✭
    I was near my solar array yesterday I can hear the same noise just being around it. I placed my ear close to one of the inverters but I couldnt really make it if it was making a noise it did not seem to be.
  • kittyJ
    kittyJ Member, Unconfirmed
    [{"insert":"ExpressNV, did you find a solution? Thanks \n"}]
  • kittyJ
    edited December 2022
    I'm having similar situation, whole high frequency noise even with electricity off. Barely audible high-frequency that makes our ears tingle. After two months our bodies are frazzled. Guests can't hear because it's easily tuned out during day. Can't sleep through the night. Noise can be heard through earplugs and the tingle can be felt over even the loudest white noise machines. Constantly being in this noise causes tight feeling in head. Can never fully relax. We have ringing in our ears after leaving the house and area/neighborhood for a few hours which makes locating impossible. Any ideas or help? We don't have solar panels but do have next door neighbor with one. He doesn't hear any noise
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

This can be a real challenge when the noise is not under your control. Unfortunately many installations use micro inverters at each panel rather than all the dc from the panels connected to a central inverter. This means that any one or all of the inverters may produce RFI. If you can get the manufacturer of the inverters, they may be able to help, especially if the RFI exceeds FCC limits.

• ExpressNV
    ExpressNV Member ✭✭

Hello Kitty, sry to hear the issues you are having. My noise never went away I suppose we have got use to it. But it never was debilitating it was more of an annoyance. I know it is coming from there but I have no way to prove it. It was the same thing here I can hear it no matter what. I am sure you also have checked yourselves for tinnitus - my understanding it is the same type of noise, if you haven't do so just in case. (you never know).

I did check for myself and do not have it.

John KB4DU how and with what can I check RFI?

Happy Holidays All,

• ExpressNV
    ExpressNV Member ✭✭

Hello Kitty, sry to hear the issues you are having. My noise never went away I suppose we have got use to it. But it never was debilitating it was more of an annoyance. I know it is coming from there but I have no way to prove it. It was the same thing here I can hear it no matter what. I am sure you also have checked yourselves for tinnitus - my understanding it is the same type of noise, if you haven't do so just in case. (you never know).

I did check for myself and do not have it.

John KB4DU how and with what can I check RFI?

Happy Holidays All,

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

There are several methods for tracking RFI. Since I already had a vhf radio with AM capability (FM mode doesn’t work very well for this) I used it. I constructed a tape measure yagi using dimensions for best front to back ratio (rather than max gain). Rotating the antenna allowed df-Ing the noise to the troublesome power transformer pole in my case. Using VHF frequencies allowed for a manageable antenna size.

• kittyJ
    [{"insert":"Thank you expressNV. Yes, both husband and I were checked for tinnitus and we don't have it. We don't hear the noise away from our home. Have you tried using a downloadable app like \"spectroid app\" to locate the noise? Can you say if you hear the noise louder in some areas within your home? \n"}]

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.