Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote tuning

I just got my new tuner and everything works great locally however I see I can not operate the tuner from a Remote PC, SmartSDR software (locally), Maesto, or from the Apple APP. Will this change in future updates? I travel and use the remote feature often.

Thanks Dennis Daniel KM6DF

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I cannot answer to if/when the tuner function will be integrated into the Flex clients (SmartSDR, Maestro, IOS).

what I do is use Node Red. It allows control of the tuner, PG XL, rotor, outlets, etc from any web browser, including smartphones. Below are screenshots from my iPad.

Dave wo2x

• Thank you David but this is not the solution I am looking for. i would like to know when the tuner will be integrated into the other Flexradio software platforms.

Dennis Daniel KM6DF

• David Decoons, wo2x

We do not have that answer at this time. I was suggesting an alternate method in the meantime.

Dave

• I understand and thanks I may need to reinstall my HF-Auto until there is a solution.

Dennis

• Mack W4AX
    Mack W4AX Company Adviser ✭✭✭

You can fully remote control the TGXL by setting up TGXL remote access at your home station and using the TGXL application remotely. That’s what I do for now. The TGXL integration is on the SmartSDR roadmap.

I believe the procedure to do this is in the draft TGXL manual but let me know if something is unclear.

Mack

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

I don't see it in the TGXL manual yet I have but here is how I got it working.

Make sure in your home Router/firewall you set the DHCP address to auto-assign a particular IP for your Tuner then set up a port forwarding entry for the Remote tuner IP address with it's IP Port of "Default of 9010" in your router.

Then on your remote computer load the TunerGenius APP then Click on the "Remote devices" Tab fill it in with your home router WAN internet IP or DDNS then the same port you set in the router (Default 9010) and a (auth. code) you have previously set in the Tuner.

Hope I got all the steps and it's not to confusing.

PS: one thing I have ran into, you can only have 2 Running TunerGenius Applications running at one time, so if you have one App running on say for instance Node-Red then you can only have one for your operating positions, Hope this will increase as the Tuner get's some updates.

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

It allows control of the tuner, PG XL, rotor, outlets, etc from any web browser, including smartphones.

Dave, when using Node Red I'm curious what hardware you use to switch on/off your 15vdc, 120vac and 240vac outlets?

Butch, KF4HR

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited July 2021

I am using a DLI Web Switch Pro to switch AC outlets. I am not (yet) switching 220v but if I were I would use a DPST contractor with 110 VAC coil rated at 240 V @ 30 A, then use one of the DLI outlets to switch it. You can build the contractor into a NEMA box. DLI makes AC relays which I use two. One for Radio Remote On and one for Radio PTT.

I shut the DC supply off from one outlet and have a power cable direct from Alinco DV-330MVT supply to radio and another to a RigRunner 4008 fow low current stuff. I do NOT trust running the radio power cable through the RigRunner. Too much voltage drop. I am considering a RigRunner 4005i for the low current stuff (Tuner Genius, Antenna Genius and LO700) but haven”t had issues with current setup.

I access the Node Red dashboard remotely using Tail Scale authentication that only allows my laptop, iPhone or iPad to access it remotely. I also have another path via WiFi into the DLI Web Switch Pro through second cable modem. Main DLI connection is via Ethernet on the 300/35 network. I have a separate cable modem for voice only but it comes as default with 25/2 meg Internet service. I set that up with a separate WiFi network as an alternate path to equipment.

It has been working for me so far (knock wood)

Dave wo2x

• John K3MA
    John K3MA Member ✭✭

Just a quick note for consideration. Rather than a Rigrunner type DC distribution I use one of these. Lots of models to choose from.

John K3MA

• Thanks John that is a good idea and also the other ideas are too. However I am looking for when Flex Software and Apple app will have it included like the power genius amp is.

Dennis

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

Using Node-Red here and a big thanks to Dave for a bit of guidance and magic, both my Remote and local stations use DLI Power switch's, both the AC and the DC DLI switch's work great and allows me to remove and restore the power to absolutely everything in both shacks. Using a 110V coil DPDT constant duty 30 Amp Contactor (relay) for the AMP.

This setup lets me easily use and control my station completely including doing firmware update Using my laptop and my VPN, AnyDesk or Teamviewer to my station with new firmware or even setup SmartLink remotely with a DRY contactor on the DLI DC switch connected to the Radios PTT line.

I also run and monitor the two Flex Radios, PGXL, TGXL, and Antenna genius from the single WEB desktop and the Power Switch's from a second WEB page on the same Node-RED Pi interface as Dave described, This all works SUPERB and very easy once built and assembled.

Controlled all from a Iphone, IPad, or of course a computer, just need a WEB browser.

just my 10 cents

• Thank you Brent but and Node-Red works great on a PC. I work very portable with a Iphone, Ipad or Maestro. I do not use a PC when remote. I guess my question is more, when will Flex add this to their software and APP platforms and if it is in their list of upcoming upgrades. it has been nice to carry my station in my pocket and use it when ever I want.

Dennis KM6DF

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@John K3MA

I currently use a RigRunner, but I like what you're using. What would you recommend for a disconnect?

• When I am done I disconnect with the software only. I do have the apple app setup if I loses data it will auto disconnect and my TX timer is set for 3 min. My radio and amp are always in standby.

Dennis KM6DF

• David Decoons, wo2x

@Dennis Daniel KM6DF Node Red server runs local to the radio. Mine is running on a Raspberry Pi on my home network. I access the dashboard from any web browser, including tablets and smartphones. You do not need a PC when remote.

Dave wo2x

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Dave - I have already built a 240vac Switch for my PG-XL. Works fine. (See diagram and photo at: https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/7908055/how-do-you-restart-a-pgxl-remotely-after-a-power-outage#latest)

I wasn't aware the RIGrunner devices produced a voltage drop. Seems odd they would considering there's not much to them inside. I use several of them without any problems. I also plan to try a 4005i soon for my TG-XL but also plan to place a 12vdc surge protector inline with the TG-XL power cable because I've noticed when I leave the TG-XL's power switch on and apply power remotely, sometimes the TG-XL does not boot up properly.

Butch KF4HR

• David Decoons, wo2x

There was a big thread on the Community about Power Poles and voltage drops. I had over a volt drop with 6700 slider set to 100 when comparing voltage at back of supply to voltage at PA inside the radio during full power tune.

I ran the radio power cable from p.s. studs direct to radio, then also used a very this coating of silver conductive grease on the power poles going into radio then on blades of the ATX fuse inside radio. Voltage drop decreased to 0.2 volts on TX @ full power.

I use an Alinco DM-330MVT supply and don’t have an issue with TG-XL remote power up by applying power to Alinco. Wondering if your supply has a slight delay in getting to full voltage.

Dave wo2x

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

To follow on with Dave’s comments, voltage drop due to any impedance can impact any HF radio.

It only takes 0.1 ohm of resistance on any DC connector to seriously impact a radios ability to get to full power. If you are drawing 20amps of current at 14V and 0.1 ohm of resistance then the voltage drop can be as high as 2 volts. Your 14 volts is now 12V at the power amplifier.

If you start at 12V, it now drops to 10V and the radio will brownout and reboot.

Keep that in mind,

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Also, I would add:

If you use a battery/power supply, UPS, via a solid-state power control device, the "junction" delta V will be 0.3v across the device's internal diode switching network.

Another source of reduced voltage at the Flex terminals.

In my case, I increased the power supply voltage to compensate for the junction delta Volts.

Alan. WA9WUD.

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

I prefer linear power supplies. I have an Astron VS-50 dedicated to my Flex-6700. Provides an external voltage adjustment to compensate for any losses. (Astron RS or RM power supplies have an internal voltage adjustment.)

Granted, the VS-50 is a bit of overkill to power the 6700, and an Astron 35A power supply would fill the bill too, but I like using the VS-50 because it loafs along when providing 20-23 amps.

Butch KF4HR

• I am just checking if there is any update on getting SMARTSDR to remote tune the new flex tuner

Dennis

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.