Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Relay Noise

K1ESE
K1ESE Member ✭✭✭

I am trying to determine if this issue is just my TGXL or everyone's. Maybe I've hooked it up wrong or maybe everyone has a noisy PTT relay.

When sending CW, a relay sounds every time the PTT is used. It's not real loud like the relay used if you were putting RX in bypass for a receive antenna. It is loud enough to be distracting. How often it clicks depends on my P/CW Panel "Delay" setting. Does this happen for all TGXLs?

My setup -

Network - DHCP Enabled

CAT/CI-V - Not enabled

FlexRadio - Enabled, TX Antenna ANT1, PTT Source LAN

Other - Port A - RX BYP not enabled

Radio Flex 6600 - TX Delay 30ms

Amp - Mercury IIIS PTT from Flex 6600 TX1 to TGXL PTT IN and TGXL PTT OUT to Mercury PTT in.

Just My TGXL clicking along?

Tagged:

Comments

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps it's the RX/TX relay in the tuner. Are you set to bypass the tuner when in RX?

Alan. WA9WUD

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭

"Other - Port A - RX BYP not enabled"

Does your's click on PTT?

• WØYVA
    WØYVA Member ✭✭

Same here. I set DELAY to around 350ms to ensure that loud relay does not 'follow' keying. Select TX MENU to find Delay. Now only a loud click only at start and end of sending.

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭

It helps to know I'm not alone. I wonder what is clicking and why.

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭

Could this question be answered please. I see no reason for a relay to change state unless RX and TX are differentiated, such as Bypass in Receive mode. As someone that runs QSK this is obviously a pertinent question to have answered before placing an order.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

See my first response, If you have the TG-XL set up to bypass when the Flex is in RX, there will be a relay operation when you initiate a TX.

Alan. WA9WUD

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭

There is a loud relay noise when you set up the TGXL to bypass on receive. That goes away when you don't set RX to bypass.

There is a quieter relay that is always there every time the radio is keyed and is annoying to some of us. No one can tell me why there is this other relay noise. You can minimize it by setting the Delay in the P/CW panel to something very long like 300ms but that leads to the radio dropping words in CW, not really a solution. You have to live with it.

It won't bother some people and will bother others. You might find one and listen before you spend the big bucks.

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭

Yes, a relay switching when using RX bypass makes sense. My concern is, from a technical perspective, why an additional relay would be switching on transmit. What is its purpose? I have silent QSK with my Flex 6600, silent pin-diode switching with my Alpha 89, so I should be concerned if at the end of the transmit chain a relay is switching. It might be benign, or not. Let's identify its purpose and determine if it is always enabled or an artifact of an auto-sense or other auto-tune function that can be disabled.

Thanks ...

W7NGA, Daniel, Seaside Oregon

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭

Daniel W7NGA -

I agree completely.

I asked in a HelpDesk ticket what the relay noise is and why it's there but have not received any response. It's been 9 days with no answers. It may be a question only 4O3A can answer.

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.