Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

2 slices in SmartSDR for Windows on my computer monitor

Options

Good Evening,

I have my 6400M in SmartControl Mode. And I have SmartSDR for windows on my monitor. I would like to have 40 meters on Slice A and 80 meters on Slice B. And on my 6400M screen it is showing that. But on my Computer Monitor all it shows is Slice B. I have seen pictures of people who have multiple slices on top of one another on their computer screen. But how does one go about doing this. I have not really tinkered with SmartSDR for windows.

Any advice or help would be very much appreciated.

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Answers

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The 6400M only has two slice receivers available. You can show both on the the radio's front panel display and if you hook up an external monitor, it will reflect the radio's display.

If you run SmartSDR on your PC and the front panel on the radio at the same time, only one slice receiver will show on the radio and on your PC's monitor with SmartSDR.

To view two panadapters and slice receivers in SmartSDR, you will have to select disconnect user ( in this case your radio's front panel ) in the Connect selection popup box when you start SmartSDR. The front panel display on the radio will change and you will be able to run two panadapters in SmartSDR.

The only way to get two on both would be to upgrade to a 6600M which can have 4 panadapters open. Two on the radio and two on the PC. Neither of the M model radios will show more than two panadapters on the front panel.

James

WD5GWY

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Mark, To show two bands simultaneously, open a second panadapter in SmartSDR.

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options

Thanks Guys. Len, I did see the + at the bottom Left of the SmartSDR Screen. I am putting the radio in Smart Control. So I would disable the panadapters on the screen. Yet, I would still be able to operate the dials and knobs on the front. The only problem is with SmartSDR getting the 2 panadapters equally spaced on the monitor screen. And, for some reason I do not see 2 transmit boxes over on the far right hand side. For some reason, I find this program very hard to manuever.

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

• KD0RC
    Options

If you hover your mouse over the white line between the panadapter and the waterfall, you will get the split indicator and be able to drag them to get pan/waterfall ratio to your liking for each pan.

If you want the panadapters to be different sizes, you can pop them out using the little diagonal arrow in the upper right hand corner of each panadapter. Each pan can then be sized individually.

There is only one transmit box as there is only one transmitter.

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Len. It's going to be a learning experience for me. Will have to try different things tomorrow after work.

Mark KB3Z

• Zippy
    Zippy Member
    Options
    This is a question similar to the thread. We have a 6600M in our EOC. It was neglected for a couple years, and I had to do some work to update firmware, etc. That's all done.
    I'm not really familiar with Flex. Learning, though. We have the 6600M sitting a couple feet away from the PC monitor running SmartSDR. When clicking a waterfall trace (or a frequency in WinLink), the radio is obviously tuning to it, and SmartSDR shows it on the panadapter.
    The Front panel on the M does NOT show it. Is there a way to link the Front panel panadapter to the SmartSDR-selected-frequency? So they both show the same panadapter?
    I'm not even sure I'm asking the question correctly...Mark, KM4RK
  • KD0RC
    Options

Hi Mark, This is a common question. The Front panel of the radio is a " GUI client" SmartSDR is another GUI client. Two GUI clients can each independently operate the radio. There is no mechanism to link two GUI clients together. GUI clients display panadapter and waterfall data, non-GUI clients do not (but they can control the radio).

With SmartSDR running right next to the radio, I think a more useful tool is SmartControl. SmartControl lets you use the panadapter and waterfall on the computer while at the same time, using the knobs and buttons on the front panel. In this case the GUI client is SmartSDR and the front panel is a non-GUI client that is tied to the GUI client (SmartSDR). So in this scenario, the knobs and buttons control what you see on the SmartSDR screen. In SmartControl mode, you do not get a panadapter/waterfall display on the front panel.

The terminology takes some getting used to, but once you get the idea that it is the panadapter/waterfall data that determines whether a client is GUI or non-GUI, it gets easier to understand.

I hope that helps to clear it up. If not let me know and I will take another shot at it.

• Zippy
    Zippy Member
    Options
    Thans, Len. That will help.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.