Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How To Set Up CW Key to Operate Remotely

Options
This question probably has been asked and answered but I am a new Flex-6400 user. I have the 6400 setup to access through my home network. I want to use a CW key remotely with the 6400. Is there a doc that explains this kind of setup?

Answers

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    Options

You can send CW using CWX and the keyboard. For the paddle, you either need a Maestro or other hardware. The problem is that the keying sidetone needs to be at the same place and your paddle and not remote. Otherwise, the sidetone and the paddle have so much latency that they are out of sync.

• w4ien
    w4ien Member ✭✭
    Options
    [{"insert":"Thanks, makes sense. Guess I was hoping for a silver bullet.\n"}]
  • Pat_W5WTH
    Pat_W5WTH Member ✭✭
    Options

You can "kinda" do this with the iPad/iPhone app. I have made several remote QSOs with the app in "straight key" mode.

I say "kinda" because it is not ideal because you are tapping the screen and not a real key. It's fun, it works, but I would want to use it for a contest, etc.

• w4ien
    w4ien Member ✭✭
    Options
    [{"insert":"Thank you.\n"}]
  • Pete K6TJ
    Pete K6TJ Member ✭✭
    Options
    It should be possible to 1) set the rig to CW mode 2) set DAX to SSB mode 3) create and send a sidetone from the control point where the operator is and 3) use a circuit at the radio to detect when the side tone is present on DAX and key the CW input.

The idea is that there is no noise on the DAX audio, and a circuit to detect the sidetone can be as simple as a diode, capacitor and resistor. Choose the capacitor and resistor for clean keying at 40 wpm. When audio comes, it charges the capacitor, turns on a FET, which keys the CW input.

Does anyone know if there is a way to set the rig to CW mode and the DAX to SSB mode?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.