Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tuner Genius XL power on question

Ian
Ian Member ✭✭

I have the 6600, PGXL, TGXL and the AGXL all working great. I turn all power off at night or the end of the day on the amp (at the switch on the back) and the TGXL and AGXL by the power supply switch i use to run the 2 of them. Every 5 or 6 days the when I power up all equipment the TGXL does not turn and the fan turns on and runs on high. Only turning the power switch off on the TGXL and then on again will the TGXL power up correctly.

any thoughts as to why this is happening ??

Ian VE3JI

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Open a Help Desk ticket.

Dave wo2x

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭

Known issue. Mine won't start unless you turn it on with the little switch hidden on the back panel. You are luckier than I am. I have settled on not turning it off.

They say they are working on a solution.

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Ian - As mentioned above, this is a known problem and Flex will tell you to submit a trouble report. Also as mentioned about, Flex has told me the TG-XL draws very little current when at idle so you can leave it on all the time if you want. Personally I didn't like that option.

Like you I was turning my TG-XL on and off via a power supply switch, and about 50% of the time using this method it would result in my TG-XL wouldn't boot properly and the TG-XL cooling fan would come on at max speed, and I'd have to cycle power a few times to get it to turn on properly. I submitted a Trouble Report and was directed to send my TG-XL back to the factory. From what I've read there is a capacitor that needs to be changed in the TG-XL and unfortunately this change cannot be done by the owner.

After waiting an extremely long time receive my TG-XL the last thing I wanted to do was sent it back and wait some more so I decided to try one more thing before sending it back. I powered my TG-XL through a West Mountain Radio RigRunner 4005i via one of its individual on/off port switches. I can't explain why but by powering on my TG-XL via the Rigrunner 4005i, it turns on normally every time now.

Another plus of using the Rigrunner 4005i is this device can be Net Enabled so I can activate my TG-XL remotely via LAN or WAN.

Butch KF4HR

• Brian_W9HLQ
    Brian_W9HLQ Member ✭✭

I have the same problem with my TGXL. I found that a short power glitch will cause the tuner to lock up and the fan runs at high speed. The glitch can be caused by power line fluctuations or in my case careless operation of the station power supply switch - I partially closed the switch but it did not toggle to the full-on position. I quickly correctly activated the switch and found the TGXL had locked up.

Power cycling with a 30-second delay will reset things and provide normal operation.

Brian, W9HLQ

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

My opinion, if they put a power on/off switch in the back as they did for PGXL and TGXL there should be a remote option power up as in the 6700. I have issues with my right arm and cannot reach back there at all and there must be many in the same boat.

I built a Remote 220-240VAC Switch that takes care of the PGXL nicely. I've connected the TGXL to my NodeRed webswitch and though I have been keeping it on, when I do toggle the webswitch, the TGXL has powered up each time so far.

Since just shutting off the power supply does not immediately cut power like a switch or relay does, it drains and perhaps this is a factor to why the TGXL doesn't power up, without mechanically toggling the rocker switch.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

As Mike already commented get a WEB relay with multiple outputs and build a high current 2 pole Relay for the AMP and a low current for the Tuner 12V and radio remote Power and you have it.

To remotely turn off the Flex 6700 you have to have some kind of switch for it anyway so $35.00 for the high current Contact Relay and what ever for the Flex6700 and Tuner your all set.

I reset my Tuner all the time with a power switch and it works fine with the latest released firmware so that is NOT and issue for me at least.

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

I should mention you don't have to go into NodeRed unless you want to. Before I got webrelays via NodeRed going I used a google smart plug to turn on/off my PGXL. Any smart plug available from costca, amazon, whatever are cheap enough and accessible via from a cell phone app.

It will toggle 120vac so you just need a cheap 120v relay plugged into that which will act as the external 12 power switch.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.