Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex CAT to CI-V stream

N0VD
N0VD Member ✭✭
Hi guys,

This seems like a simple question, but I haven't been able to track a simple answer. I have a Bandmaster V connected to an IC-7300 that is used to auto select my antennas by feeding it the CI-V stream from the 7300.

I want to "share" the BM V with my 6700. My thought is to use a SmartSDR CAT output via a USB-COM port cable then translate the CAT output into a CI-V stream. I would then select which radio has control of the BM 5 - either the Flex or the Icom - by toggling the stream through a relay. This way only one of the radio's stream would be seen by the BM 5 at any given time. (Only 1 radio would be active at any given time - so this is not an issue and totally different topic)

Ideas?

Kelly - N0VD

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

HI Kelly, It looks like the BandMaster V has a connection for ICOM's CIV as well as a USB port to directly plug into a Flex. If only one radio will be active at a time, can they just both be connected for the desired result? I am not sure if the two interfaces would fight for control, so this probably needs some experimentation.

At worst, it seems like just plugging and unplugging the interfaces would do it (I'm not sure how practical that would be in your situation).

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

from what it looks like, if both radios are on at the same time one radio would track changes from second radio and vice versa. Band data would follow last change.

Dave wo2x

• N0VD
    N0VD Member ✭✭

Thanks for the comments. While I haven't tried it, the manual (and setup steps) seems to indicate it will only track one input type. IE: I have to select which type of input I want - currently CI-V - in the BM V configuration menus.

I suppose I can plug the Flex into the USB port and see what goes, but I believe the challenge will be for the BM V to understand which should be the "primary" radio. In my case the Flex should be primary when the 7300 is powered off. When the 7300 comes on, the 7300 should become primary.

Kelly - N0VD

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

You can do what you want in Node Red in place of Band Master (if you can’t get BandMaster working the way you want).

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.