Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CAT Ports Disappeared Again - Can't resolve this time.

Out of the blue, my CAT ports disappeared. I had a problem about 8 weeks ago in which the ports were scrambled and there were many unused ports and was able to delete all the many CAT ports in Windows thanks to Tim's procedure. I created new ports starting with VSP 4 and life was good.

This time, all the ports just disappeared in the CAT tool and none of the APPS would communicate. i tried to just delete then as before but this time is very different. I deleted the ports in Windows using Tim's procedure but I could not then recreate new ports. When I tried to save VSP4, I received an error message: "The virtual serial port (VSP) failed to create. Double check serial port settings."

Using another of Tim's procedures, How to Reassociate CAT ports with Virtual Serial Ports, I reset FlexVSP drivers and then followed the "Resetting the CAT.settings file by deleting the CAT.settings file. I rebooted all and then the CAT tool comes up with com4 and TCP port 5002 as I would expect. However, even though the CAT tool shows a com4, Windows and Logger32 do not 'see' com4. Also, when I try to add a port using the CAT tool, it will not allow this. it does not index to a higher number port. If I try to just save com4, it gives me the error message: "The virtual serial port (VSP) failed to create. Double check the serial port numbers".

I am really at the limit of my knowledge here and not sure which way to go. I have been able to resolve CAT port issues in the past but not this time. Many Thanks, Jim KD1I

Running Ver 3,2,39.3374 and Windows 10.

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

I have a friend that has this problem as well. My only guess it is some sort of issue in Windows but no idea of why or what the root cause is.

• Mike, do you think the next steps should be to do a system reset and then, if needed, delete the rel 3.2.39 and reload from scratch? Can I load over the existing software or should I first delete it and load fresh? I have my profiles backed up at this time. Thanks for the reply. 73, Jim

• OK, I did a factory reset and then restored my profiles. The radio itself works normally but the problem remains. I still have com 4 and TCP Port 5002 as it should but I cannot create new ports and my apps do not recognize com 4. If I try to save it, I get the same error message.

Observation: Under "Other Devices", I see Numerous FabulaTech_Virtual Port 3, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 103, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 and "Unknown Device". Any idea what this is and what it means? Is this normal? Are these ports needed or is this causing me problems?

Mike, do you know what your friend did to resolve this issue? Thanks again, Jim

• BTW, the log for CAT com4 is blank and the 'test' does nothing. It appears that com4 does not actually exist.

• Problem solved and question raised. I first reloaded SW over the existing SW and this did not fix the issue. Next, I used Windows add/remove programs to remove all versions of release 3 SW. (I had 3 previous versions) I rebooted and then loaded 3.2.39... another reboot and the cat port tool worked. I was able to recreate the correct port numbers.

However, I have a serious question. I did the "remove all versions" with the Flex 6500 on. Then rebooted both the Flex and the computer. When I downloaded the SW 3.2.39 from Flex, I had the Flex 6500 off and installed it on my computer first. Then I booted up the Flex and expected the purple light to indicate it was downloading SW. That did not happen. Instead, it went through a normal bootup and came up with a green light. I expected to have my profiles gone but they were still there. Obviously, this was not like a fresh, clean load of SW. What went wrong? What should I have done?

I have upgraded SW in the past and always went through the sequence that indicates a SW load.

Many Thanks, Jim

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

If the radio already had 3.2.39 loaded, it wasn’t a upgrade/downgrade, so the radio matched the SmartSDR and just came up normally.

• John, that's a good explanation. Thank you. This has been a frustrating problem. I'm glad it is resolved. 73, Jim

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.