Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

cat.exe won't start on Windows 11

Options
Hello all! Got a problem with SmartSDR CAT and I need some help.

Short version:
Installed Windows 11 on my PC today, installed SmartSDR v3.2.39 and cat.exe won't start.

Longer version with more details:
Like I said, I think I have seen something like this before but I can't recall. Running cat.exe it just fails to open.

The errors I am getting are .Net framework errors. However, I am running .Net Framework v4.8.04161

Event Source: .NET Runtime
Event ID: 1026

Application: Cat.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.GenerateNames() at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.get_ServiceName() at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.GenerateStatus() at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.get_Status() at CatWPF.App.VSPServiceIsRunning() at CatWPF.App..ctor() at CatWPF.App.Main()

&

Event Source: Application Error
Event ID: 1000

Faulting application name: Cat.exe, version: 3.2.39.3374, time stamp: 0x60b67a38
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.22000.132, time stamp: 0xd0701e22
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000004466c
Faulting process id: 0x5cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7ba4f4912042d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\FlexRadio Systems\SmartSDR v3.2.39\SmartSDR CAT\Cat.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 0a25705e-a50e-483f-b7f6-92dc0b9a8aa1
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Comments

• crutledge
    crutledge Member
    Options
    LOL, Welp! Nevermind. After a bit more research, it looks like running C:\Program Files\FlexRadio Systems\FlexVSP\FlexVSPInstaller_64.msi did the trick..
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Good to know. Thanks for posting your solution here.

• crutledge
    crutledge Member
    Options
    Yea, I figured that even though I figured it out just a scant few minutes later, it would be best to leave it, in case anyone else runs across the issue. But everything is rocking along smooth now on Windows 11..

I also ran into the old portcls.sys BSOD but, that's a limitation in the Windows Audio subsystem and the number of devices it can have. Fortunately, it figured itself out after a couple of reboots.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.