Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Dual VFOs with Log4OM

This is one of those questions I cannot decide best to put on a Log4OM forum or this one…

Log4OM is my preferred logger and having tried several others I am a firm convert. A question on dual VFOs: it would be perfect being able to display the frequency of both 6600M’s VFOs simultaneously on Log4OM but it isn’t capable of doing this and it would require manually selecting the desired one to use (A or B). Inconvenient but I could live with that. However I’m not sure how to configure not only Log4OM but all the peripheral programs I use: WSJT-X, JTAlert, etc. so they know which VFO to use. Has anyone achieved this?

Jeff – G4IUA

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited October 2021

Jeff

I don't use Log4OM, but if Log4OM can support 2 radios at the same time, you could create 2 CAT ports, one for Slice A and the other for Slice B.

Mike va3mw

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Jeff

I don't use Log4OM, but if Log4OM can support 2 radios at the same time, you could create to CAT ports, one for Slice A and the other for Slice B.

The other was do it is to track the TX slice, which you might want to ask the author if there is a way he will do that via the LAN.

Mike va3mw

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭

Mike:

I'm a long time user of LOG4OM. You can do what you have suggested ( I do that now), however, you have to manually select which radio 1 or 2 to display. Then only the active slice is displayed in LOG4OM. Jeff is doing the your two radio solution.

What Jeff is looking for is slice one on VFO display 1 and slice two on VFO display 2. Other radios do this, what needs to happen is a modification to OMNIRIG or HAMLIB radio drivers that LOG4OM uses as their radio interface. This has been discussed on the LOG4OM forum.

When interfacing to my KX3, both VFO frequency registers are displayed by the logger and the designated TX VFO frequency is the one that is logged for the QSO. The KX3 outputs both vfo registers in its status message.

JEFF: Have you down loaded the latest LOG4OM, I see from the release notes that It supports HAMLIB 4.2 which has some new VFO display features. I haven't had time to try the new HAMLIB, Cedar Rapids was literally blown away by Derecho winds (Straight Line winds over 125 MPH) last August. I'm still cleaning up. Hopefully a new tower will grow b4 Bouvet.

Gayle K0FLY

• G4IUA
    G4IUA Member ✭✭

Thanks Mike. Unfortunately Log4OM doesn't directly support 2 radios at the same time. You have to select between Rig 1 and Rig 2. However once I get the config of SmartSDR/WSJT/JTAlert/Log4OM working again properly I'll take up your suggestions.

As it happens I'm really struggling with the above setup. If anyone could share their config I'd be grateful. I had it working but despite trying to follow the Log4OM instructions I just cannot get it to play ball again. It's rather like a jigsaw with so many pieces relying on all the others and I just need a bit of hand holding to properly understand everything from setting up the CAT ports, Omnirig, the Log4OM setup, etc. It might be perfectly obvious to many on this forum but I find it all a bit daunting.

Jeff - G4IUA

• G4IUA
    G4IUA Member ✭✭

Gayle: thanks for that info. Seems our posts crossed.

I do have the latest Log4OM (2.12). Seems I should try Mike's suggestion once I'm up and running again and hope the drivers are modified so the system works as it does for your K3.

Jeff

• G4IUA
    G4IUA Member ✭✭

Gayle: I looked at your QRZ page and see what you mean about the damage a good storm can do! You have every reason to buy a new tower!

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭

Jeff:

Contact Terry G4POP, I think he is the LOGOM Help Desk person. He maybe able to help you through your problem.

During the storm I was squatted down near the house center looking out the kitchen window at the quad, which was holding up so well, I was patting my self on the back on how well I had built it , then a big HACKBEERY tree blew over against the tower and took it down. Then Black Locust tree come over against the house, then the two 70 foot Walnuts blew over and took out my neighbors roof. Cedar Rapids lost 24000 trees during the storm. I'm still sawing limbs and tree debris. I have until April 19 to get the debris out for the last pickup.

Gayle

• G4IUA
    G4IUA Member ✭✭

Gayle:

Think of the storm as the ultimate test of your tower and antennas. Be grateful to the elements; if it hadn't been for those trees falling over you might have had a good survival rate but you would never have known where any weaknesses lay! We had something like that in 1987 and literally millions of trees were blown down, changing the landscape forever.

I will reach out to Terry on the Log4OM help desk if I need to but in terms of interfacing it with Flex 6000 products I though it might better to hear directly from Flex users with an identical setup. Meanwhile my setup is working for now but isn't stable.

Jeff

• w1smc
    w1smc Member ✭✭

Anyone know if there's any resolution for this issue?

I use Log4OM for my logging. It connects to my Orion 2 (COM3) & 6600M (COM4) w/o issue.

The both VFO’s are shown for the Orion but the 6600M only shows Slice A. 

Usually, I have 4 Slices running … all on CW … A-80M, B-40M, C-30M, & D-20M.

No matter which Slice I make active and in TX Log4OM ONLY shows the Slice A frequency.

• Mike-VA3MW

@w1smc

That is correct. When you define a CAT port in SmartSDR CAT, it is dedicated to s specific slice.

This is a case where the radio technology is ahead of the software developers.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.