Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Power Genius XL ATU Question?

I have a simple question guys. Does the Power Genius XL have a built in Antenna Tuner?

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Best Answer

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

No.

The PG XL is a true SO2R amp and if you want to run SO2R you can add the Flex TG XL SO2R version and the 4O3A 2x8 antenna switch. This makes a seamless SO2R station coupled with the 6600 or 6700.

If you want to run the PG XL and not SO2R then Flex makes a 1x3 version of the tuner or you can use the PalStar HF Auto tuner on one side of the amp.

What is your desired station configuration?

Dave wo2x

Answers

• Ian
    Ian Member ✭✭

It does not have an ATU. I am waiting for my TGXL but my 6600 and PGXL without a tuner work very well with SWR up to 2:1 on full power (1000 watts for me). Power folds back above 2:1 SWR and faults out at 3:1. I cannot tell you how much power folds back above 2:1

Ian VE3JI

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭

Mark

i agree with Ian. I have run my PGXL for several years now with wire antennas and SWR often near 2:1. Above 2.5:1 I look for why my antenna is not quite right. My opinion is the amp works in that area. Other amps with tuners have detailed a max of 3:1 SWR.I would expect with some matches they would tune better than that. A tuner would also have loss as well as increased loss in the feedline.

Bill W9JJB

• Dave, WO2X,

I have the Palstar Autotuner. I thought that perhaps the PGXL was like the SPE's and Elecraft's amplifier, and had the built in Tuner. Currently I have the SPE 1.3K-FA, with the ATU. I have it hooked up to my Palstar.

I hope that answers your question.

Mark KB3Z

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

The issue with the SPE tuner is tuning above 3:1 SWR. Elecraft is better but power handling get derated at higher SWR,

The HF Auto works well but if you want it to track radio frequency you need two different programs.

No "perfect" solution. Tuner Genius works very well, good integration but is pricey and backordered.

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.