Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR for iOS | iPad | FT-8 Mode

Is anyone using SmartSDR for iOS in an iPad operating FT-8 via SmartLink or VPN remotely? I'm having a hard time getting mine to work. I can receive the stations without issues but it's not working properly when TX. Apparently the UDP packets are not reaching the Flex completely. I did some network testing but can't find anything wrong. I'm wondering if anyone using FT-8 mode has had this issue before I start to make big changes here.

Again this is related to SmartSDR for iOS operating FT-8 remotely NOT locally via WLAN or LAN.

While using WLAN or LAN there are zero issues.

I'm working with the software dev. Marcus but wondering if I'm the only one with that issue.

73' Frank - KP4IP

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Hi Frank

I have seen similar things and when I turned off Location Services it really helped. I'm sure Marcus has mentioned that already.

What you need is some tool that can measure the LAN/WAN performance and that is hard to do from an iOS device. In the PC world, I use a tool called "lanspeedtest" which tells a pretty good story, but there isn't an iOS application that would help out.

The next thing I look at is MTU values, again, hard to do on an iOS device. If the MTU value is 1 byte too big you start to double up on the number of packets requires to move data.

Lastly, if your ISP is doing any sort of throttling for streaming UDP packets, that won't help and again, hard to diagnose.

• KP4IP
    KP4IP Member ✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Hi @Mike-VA3MW

I have been testing with Marcus and he found the issue and added an option to mitigate it for both Apps (macOS and iOS).

He will be releasing an update soon.

73' KP4IP
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Cool! thanks for the update.

• KP4IP
    KP4IP Member ✭✭
    edited September 2021
    SmartSDR for Mac v1.9.12 (122) is out as an update with the network improvement. The iOS version should be released by Apple soon.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.