Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Not Using the ATU

Options
w1smc
w1smc Member ✭✭
edited September 2021 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Currently I use a LDG AT-1000 external tuner for both my TT Orion 2 & TS-890. I turn off the ATU's in both these radios and ONLY use the LDG. I just hit the TUNE button on either of these rigs to bypass their internal tuners. I RTFM and did not find an explanation on how to turn off the ATU on the 6600M. Unless I missed it. There's Manual & Memory Mode but no details on how to turn off the ATU. So, what is the tuning process to bypass the 6600M ATU?

Oh, the Tuner Genius XL is in my future (Christmas or Birthday) .....

Thanks ..... de W1SMC

Answers

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Options

With the 6400M and 6600M, pressing and holding the ATU button places the ATU in bypass mode. See User Guide, Sec 25.3.

• w1smc
    w1smc Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Neil ....
  • Tim K9WX
    Tim K9WX Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Here’s a related question regarding the ATU and bypass mode. My radio is a 6600 and I am running SSDR 2.4.10. 

When contesting I am typically operating SO2R. I want to use the radio’s internal ATU on slice A but use an external ATU on slice B. So, I want the radio’s internal ATU engaged for slice A but in bypass mode for slice B.

This is straightforward when operating with SSDR. The ATU button is lit for slice A when it has TX focus:

but not for slice B when it has TX focus:

The slice B display also makes it clear that the ATU is in Bypass mode since SSDR includes an explicit “Byp” indicator. This functionality persists as I toggle TX focus back and forth between slice A and slice B.

My question concerns the same SO2R operation when using a Maestro. If I disconnect the PC from the radio and connect the Maestro, the Maestro’s ATU button is lit regardless of which slice has the TX focus, and I have never been confident that the radio’s internal ATU is in bypass mode for slice B. I can press and hold the ATU button so that it goes unlit when slice B has the TX focus, suggesting that the ATU has been successfully bypassed, but if I toggle the TX focus to slice A and then back to slice B, the ATU button lights up again and stays lit for slice B.

I’ve looked at section 21 of the Maestro manual (V.2.1.30) and it does not seem to address an SO2R scenario. Is the ATU in bypass mode for slice B even though the Maestro’s ATU button is lit? How can I ensure that I have successfully placed the ATU in bypass mode and keep it bypassed for slice B when using the Maestro? I should note that the “ATU MEM” button on the Maestro’s TX menu is lit and stays lit through the Maestro TX focus toggling.

Tim K9WX

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Tim

I would suggest that you open a support ticket and include your last detailed (excellent) post. That way it will be tracked and forwarded to engineering if required.

Mike

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118688-How-to-Submit-a-Request-for-Technical-Support

• w1smc
    w1smc Member ✭✭
    Options

I had no issues running the ATU in bypass. The LDG tuner did its magic and I made a sideband contact on 20M without issue.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.