Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Spot

I am new to the Flex 6400M. I cannot find a CW Spot function that puts me on the correct frequency to call a CW station I'm receiving. Does the rig have such a function and if so, where can I find it? Thanks, Joe WA2PJI

Answers

• Joe, if you are using N1MM and am using the bandmaps, you are connecting to the telnet spot of your choice.

In CAT you want to add the N!MM SPOT under Port Protocol. The Port Type is UDP. The UDP Port is 12061. Lifetime in Seconds is 3600. Now, you will have to go into N1MM and make the necessary changes in Conig, Configure Ports and you will see a section on Broadcast Data. Check the Spots selection and type in the following address, 127.0.0.1:12061. Then you will see spots on your slices.

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭

I see no need for a spot function. You set your CW pitch setting to what is comfortable listening or best fits your listening and noise environment and you will be on frequency. I use 600hz but I know others might prefer a tone somewhat different. You can select the preferred pitch in the Radio Controls window under CW in SmartSDR for Mac and there is a similar setting in the Windows version.

W7NGA

• No
  • Joe_WA2PJI
    Joe_WA2PJI Member ✭✭
    Thanks for three interesting responses! Indeed, I have been matching the 600 HZ tone to the received signal with the power at zero, which is one of the methods suggested -- and it seems to work fine. But, I just wanted to make sure I was not missing out on anything. And, thank you, but I'm not using N1MM software -- something to look into. One of the great things about this rig is that there always seems to be something new to explore. Thank you!
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭

Oft requested, but yet to show up on the new features list...

73, Craig KØCF

• Joe_WA2PJI
    Joe_WA2PJI Member ✭✭
    Good to know Craig. Seems like a simple addition. 73, Joe
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Joe, I was surprised by this when I bought my 6400, but after using it for a short while, I realized that I don't really need it.

Before the days of panadapters, you had to match the audio frequency of the cw tone as W7NGA mentions above. This can be hit or miss depending on your ability to match tones.

With the Flex, you can zoom in on the signal, and get very close to zero beat with the received signal.

If you use CW Skimmer, it is even easier. Just click the little circle next to the signal of interest, and it will put you right on frequency.

• Joe_WA2PJI
    Joe_WA2PJI Member ✭✭

I agree Len, especially since we can pick a VERY narrow bandwidth when listening to stations. Still, it would not hurt to suggest that our friends at Flex add an option to the CW Transmit menu (next to the option to set the frequency of the sidetone) for a button corresponding to that frequency. That button can then be added to the dropdown menu for one of the programmable Function button presets on the 6400M or as a virtual "button" on the 6400 SmartSDR display. This is an amazing radio - why not go the extra mile for CW ops?

Joe, WA2PJI

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭

Click, scroll, whatever .... when you hear the preferred tone you are on frequency. If you select a slightly different tone, you will be slightly off frequency. In my world view ... who cares, really. I remember my novice rig and a box of 80 meter crystals. If I could find one that was within 5 kHz of the other signal I was ecstatic. One of the true joys of ham radio, was calling CQ and tuning around the band hoping to hear your call. We were all confined to a small slice of the band, crystal-controlled, low power ... great fun.

If you click on the peak of the signal you are automagically on the correct frequency. Seems straight-forward and simple to me.

W7NGA

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

To tell the truth, I think my Novice year Heathkits (1965) and operating my 6600M are about tied for peak ham radio fun.

• Joe_WA2PJI
    Joe_WA2PJI Member ✭✭

So true! I still have a Heathkit HW-16 rig in my basement that I fire up once in a while, with the HG-10B VFO. And, I got along fine with that strange (aka -awful) sidetone pitch as a novice -- and still do today. I admit that I'm being a bit picky here, since the Flex has upped our expectations on so many fronts.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.