Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Connecting my 6400M to SmartSDR, CAT and DAX

Mark Griffin
Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
edited September 2021 in SmartSDR for Windows

GE fellow Flexradio users,

I have installed the most current version of SmartSDR, CAT and DAX. SmartSDR has identified my 6400M. And I pressed connect. But on the CAT screen, I have 2 choices, Desktop BOEJDJJ or Maestro. I assume I use the Desktop. It give me a Com Port 4 and it also gives me a TCP:Port 5002. I currently have 7.022.380 on my 6400M yet on SmartSDR it is giving me a totally different frequency.

On DAX RX Stream A slice is showing activity.

Is there a document that can help me to connect SmartSDR to my 6400M and have the frequency reading both the same? Or more or less have my computer communicate with my Flexradio 6400M/

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Comments

• johnn1jm
    johnn1jm Member ✭✭

What you get on your PC is slice B or VFO B. VFO/Slice A is on your M screen.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

You want to work on the same slice receiver with both your computer’s mouse or trackpad and your radio’s “M” controls? Most ops prefer one method or the other.

• Jim

I thought it was slice A. At least when I looked at Cat it said Slice A. And, to explain, the only reason I am using SmartSDR is because I contest and use N1MM as my contest logging software. Is there any written installation notes for SmartSDR to let me know what I should and shouldn't do?

Mark KB3Z

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Mark, when you use the display on the front panel, that is a client and is a separate connection to the radio. When you also open SmartSDR, that is a separate connection. The M screen and computer screen will therefore not track each other. This is what allows two people to share the transceiver.

If you put your transceiver into SmartControl mode, you will have the waterfall and spectrum scope on the computer, and the buttons and knobs will track with it. You will see the flags (freq, mode, etc) on the M screen, and they will match the flags on the SmartSDR screen.

Give SmartControl a try and see if that works for you.

• Thanks so much Len. I will have to see how to put my radio into SmartControl Mode. I guess I will need to press the menu button on the screen and perhaps SmartControl Mode is an available option.

Mark

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

Sec 11 of the 6400M user guide describes SmartControl in detail.

• Len,

I accessed the smartcontrol. Yes, you are right that the frequency on the radio is the same now that is on SmartSDR. But, you don't get to see the waterfall on the 6400M screen. I just simply want to connect SmartSDR to my 6400M. On my screen it shows menu and maestro underneath that. But I am not operating a separate Maestro. I am totally confused when it comes to setting up DAX and CAT stuff. I hate to be a pain.

Mark KB3Z

• Plus,

I am only receiving on Slice A. How do I activate Slice B? I press where the B should be, but nothing happens.

Mark KB3Z

• KD0RC

Hi Mark, by design, you don't get the waterfall on the M screen when you are in SmartControl.

What is it that you want to do with DAX and CAT? Most applications that use them give instructions on how to set them up.

• Len,

Simply put is there a way on SmartSDR the frequency I have on my 6400M Screen? Or, is SmartControl the only way I can do that? I must admit, I am rather ignorant when it comes to being able to do that. I would like to get N1MM to connect to my 6400M. I know there are video's out there to help me in this effort. Plus, I realize that I would have to add more com ports for both Computer and transmit to get N1MM to work.

Sorry, to be a pain in the rear end.

Mark KB3Z

• KD0RC

SmartControl is the only way.

Yep, there are plenty of videos and documentation on how to set up N1MM. I use ACLog from N3FJP, so I'm not much help here. If you have problems getting it working, someone here will be able to help.

• Mike made an excellent Flex / N1MM video: Configuring N1MM+ to work with SmartSDR - YouTube

• Thanks Eric.

Mark

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.