Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I just received my 6400M today. What should I do after I take it out of the box?

I just received my 6400M this afternoon. I would like to take it out of the box, put the unit where I want it, connect the antenna coax, receive antenna, power cable and ethernet cable. What's the next step after this? I did watch a video that showed updating the SSDR within the 6400M. But after that, is there any crucial that I need to do?

Thanks!

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Yes, get it on the air!

You will probably want to register SmartLink so that you can use it remotely, but that is not strictly required.

Setting up your TX equalizer is another good thing to do at this point. Ken, NM9P has a set of really good videos on YouTube. He shows you how to use Full Duplex mode to really get great sounding audio from whatever mic you use.

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭

In addition to what Len has recommended, if you haven't done so already you will want to get on the FlexRadio web site and download all the documentation. To find it, at the top of the Flex home page click on Support, then Documentation. You can select the type of documents you want both at the top and left side of the Documentation page. You will want to get the User Guides for the 6400M and 6600M radios, as well as the SmartSDR v3 manual. There are many others that you may find useful as well.

Welcome to the FlexRadio community!

73, Craig, KØCF

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

Plug a large monitor into the HDMI slot on the back of the 6400M.

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

Guys,

I have it working. But I have a footswitch that I would like to use so I can key my microphone. Where do I connect that to?

• Neil D Friedman N3DF

PTT connector (RCA type) on the back of the radio.

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

My footswitch has a 1/4 phone jack at the end of it. So I should purchase a 1/4 mono jack to RCA plug adapter.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF

RCA plugs are among the easiest to solder. You could cut off the phono plug and solder on an RCA plug.

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭

Some would say RTFM. But GL & 73.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

You can order a 1/4” stereo jack to dual RCA male. Plug your foot pedal in the jack and one of the RCA plugs will plug into the PTT jack. I forget if it is right or left channel RCA. Try one, if it doesn’t work, use the other. Or as Neil said, if you are good at soldering you can change the plug.

Dave wo2x

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

David,

I will be connecting my Microphone to the microphone jack on the back of the 6400M. Wouldn't I need just a 1/4 inch jack to RCA for the PTT?

Mark KB3Z

• Neil D Friedman N3DF

Yes, if you really don’t want to solder an RCA plug. Suggest you read Sec 7.4.5 and 7.4.18 in the 6400M/6600M User Guide.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.